I have been taking Azithromycin for over 2.5 years now and it helps me a lot. I was taking one 250 mg (1 time per day) for over a year then started 1 every other day. I found that if I took the 1 every other day, I would still get some problems. I went back to taking 1 every day.
I also take a couple of supplements to help reduce any lung inflammations.
I have 35% lung capacity and retain Co2 so I will get short of breath if I move around too fast, so I do things slowly. I take a shower every day and do things in stages to avoid getting short of breath. I'm very happy with the health that I do have and have learned to live with having emphysema. I have a couple of oxygen concentrators and use one when I sleep. After I take my shower, I switch over to using an E-tank for the rest of the day using an Easy-Pulse 5+6 regulator. Then when I leave the house, I switch to using an Inogen One G5. I thank God for the various ways I can have supplemental oxygen.
Are you taking a Z-Pak (azithromycin) three times a week?
Some people with COPD do take long-term antibiotics on specific days of the week as part of their treatment plan. A MyCOPDTeam member mentioned taking long-term antibiotics only on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, which is similar to what you're asking about.
This Show Full Answer