Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
December 28, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Ramon. I was encouraged to gain weight after COPD set in. I took a while to learn not to eat large meals, but smaller portions and more often through out the day instead. I gained a full 20-25 pounds over time. Now I have to stay more active too!

Our bodies burn up more energy making Oxygen and just breathing deeper. My DOC gave me Prednisone to help build up center mass too. They did let me eat almost any thing I wanted - include the stuff other people get judged for. 🥓

You Doc can connect you with a Dietician to craft menus and meal plans that work with your COPD and any other conditions going on.

BESTS in 2026!

December 29, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes! Monitor your weight. Try to get lots of protein and add Ensure or Boost as needed. Get some exercise every day...doesn't have to be anything major; cleaning your home counts too...just keep moving!

December 30, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Lost over 30 pounds, slowly. Slowly gaining back, at least 12 pounds already. Being intentional about eating, and unafraid to snack on sweets. Use Walmart's protein shakes,high calorie. I'm also on sodium and fluid restrictions, so that complicates things. My weight gain also started after I began using Ohtuvayre, which is probably more because I felt better and that gave me a better mindset. It's not easy.

December 30, 2025
MyCOPDTeam

How can you manage unintentional weight loss with COPD?

Unintentional weight loss is common with COPD—affecting 40 to 70 percent of people. Your body uses more energy when breathing, burning up to 10 times more calories than someone without lung disease. This can lead to weight loss and weakened muscles.

Many MyCOPDTeam Show Full Answer

How can you manage unintentional weight loss with COPD?

Unintentional weight loss is common with COPD—affecting 40 to 70 percent of people. Your body uses more energy when breathing, burning up to 10 times more calories than someone without lung disease. This can lead to weight loss and weakened muscles.

Many MyCOPDTeam members have shared similar experiences. One member said, "I've been on a 'get-fat diet' for seven months, struggling hard to gain weight and keep it on."

Here are strategies that have helped others:

Dietary Changes:
- Eat frequent small meals throughout the day instead of fewer large ones
- Focus on easy-to-digest, high-calorie foods like peanut butter, oatmeal, fruit smoothies, sweet potatoes, and yogurt
- Add high-calorie snacks between meals
- Keep portions small since a full stomach can make breathing harder

Practical Tips:
- Meal prep on good days and freeze portions for low-energy days
- Work with a registered dietitian who can create a personalized plan to help you get enough calories and protein
- Ask your doctor about checking for vitamin deficiencies (like B12, folate, or iron) that might affect your energy and appetite

Since weight loss can signal worsening COPD, it's important to discuss this with your doctor. They can help rule out other causes and connect you with nutrition support.

December 28, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I agree it could irrigation not be related to co p d. But in my case, I feel strongly it is. As I've never dropped weight like this. I leave it in God's hands, as I know copd is not a death sentence, it's managable.

January 1

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Queens, NY