Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

suppose to go on antibiotics 3 pills 3 x week many side effects. if any one has this please reply have not decided what to do yet....pretty scary stuff. people with copd bronchitis, asthma can get this easily.

January 17
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member this reply is full of great information for @A MyCOPDTeam Member and exactly why this site is so helpful for everyone. Just reading your reply I learn a lot it's great information for everyone who reads it,

January 19
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes, that sounds like the right treatment. They’re asking you to take three different antibiotics for 12- 18 months. Is this the first time you’ve had Mac? I have bronchiectasis so the Mac is different for me ,than it would be for you with COPD ,as I don’t have COPD.
I can’t remember the exact antibiotics they gave me. It’s been nine years ago. I had a pneumonia and didn’t know it. I started coughing up blood, went to the ER and they said I had bronchiectasis. They said I’d had it for quite a while. They said I had Mac as well, but that pulmonologist did nothing… later on I went to different healthcare, they get a bronchoscopy and said that I had Mac, and I had Aspergellosis ,lung fungus. The antibiotics took care of the Mac ,and I never had it again. I had to go to infectious deceased doctor for the aspergillosis.
Your breathing will be bad until the antibiotics get into your system. I have really bad asthma so yes, I’m on inhalers. I have one with steroids, and they haven’t caused me any troubles.
I live in California. Better not to listen to a whole bunch of different people and their opinions. If you have a good doctor, do what they say. Sooner you get this treated the better off you’ll be. And then you can go on from there, if you’re not happy with the treatment.
Sorry, I can’t be more helpful than this. There’s two different types of Mac, depending on if you have COPD or Bronchiectasis.
Hope everything goes well for you. I know these things are really scary, but they have a way of working themselves out in time.

January 19 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My 3 meds were Clarithromycin, ethambutol, and Rifampin. I took them 3 times a week for 58 weeks.
I would strongly suggest at least trying them. I know they saved my life. I never had thrush , I always ate a good breakfast and that helped tremendously. By the time I was done, I had lost 20-25 pounds, but I had 7 or 8 years before I was diagnosed with Bronchiectasis, I was told when I started it wouldn’t be an easy journey but well worth it if I could
get thru the treatment.

January 20
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I was diagnosed with MAC 12 years ago. I was on the Big 3 for over a year. It wasn’t an easy time, but it did clear up the MAC and make it manageable. I now have Bronchieactasis which was caused by all the damage done to my lungs from the MAC. I have been on inhaled Tobramycin for about 15 months now, and it keeps most of the bacteria in check. The last sample didn’t have any MAC growth which amazed my ID doc and my pulmonologist. Unfortunately these are difficult diseases to manage, I find my faith helps me tremendously with the day to day ups and downs.

January 20
A MyCOPDTeam Member

There is a lot of information and support about MAC, Bronchiectasis and COPD on the Mayo Clinic Connect site: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/ I have severe Bronchiectasis and COPD Emphysema as well. Was diagnosed with MAC 20 years ago and not tested since, though the bacterium that causes it can stay in your system indefinitely. The treatment for MAC can be very harsh, so my pulmonologist has not encouraged me to pursue that. I do take Azithromycin 3x a week, but that only helps with the inflammation.

https://connect.mayoclinic.org/
January 19

Related Questions

View All