Answer Summary
Members shared a wide range of strategies for managing full-blown anxiety and hyperventilation, from calling a trusted loved one or pastor to... Read more
As much as you have talked about anxiety I think you need to talk with your pulmonologist and your GP to get some anti anxiety medication to help you.
Anxiety will make you tighten up your chest and then make it harder to breathe. It is a prehistoric reaction to get you to find a safe place till the threat is gone. When you realize you are starting to panic. Start doing the PLB. *Making sure you inhale through the nose! Lower your shoulders, they don't need to be touching your ears. Do 3 PLB's and then one long deep breath relaxing breath in and out. You should be able to calm it down in 2 or 3 minuets. Or try rubbing your jaw joint right in front of your ear where your jaw meets your scull, either or even both sides. Tiny little circles. If that doesn't help try yawning. You can not panic or have an anxiety attack if you're yawning 3 times. [No, your body can not tell the difference in a fake or real yawn.] It is hard to do but it works.
It is the methods I was taught by a phycologist and use, they work. I do have an anti-anxiety pill that I only take a half one to help me keep calm when I know it is coming on. I don't use it every time because those methods really work.
I’m lucky, in that I rarely get panic attacks, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.
In my case, my Mom was big on distraction. Always have hard candies available and pop one in your mouth (as long as you’re not breathing so hard that you might choke).
Once in your mouth, try distracting yourself by concentrating on the candy.
Is it chocolately and delicious?
Cinnamon and hot?
Buttery rum and calming?
Next up, concentrate on finding 5 things to distract you to force your brain out of survival mode and use pursed lip breathing to try and calm yourself while standing still.
Is it raining? Can you feel yourself getting wet?
Cold?
Warm and sunny? Can you feel the breeze on your skin?
Are you calm enough to walk a short distance or walk in circles?
Do anything you can to distract and rewire your brain so that you don’t feel panicky.
Mom's suggestions could go on for days, but she always had music playing to try and fill up the back of my brain so that my subconscious wouldn’t start wandering and panic me out of nowhere without cause.
I hope something in this list helps you. Hugs.
Saturday afternoon, 10-JAN-26
You would do it, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. My first thought is that she may be getting refueled herself with a nice little vacation. Maybe she'll be refreshed when she gets back. My husband needs little breaks too, though all he can do at his age is get in his little truck and run around; gives us both a break. It's not that we're burdens on them, it's just nice that this way everybody can have a short breather now and then.
Agree with the AI on anxiety/panic attack
The amount of energy and focus required to regain control is astounding (lots of fun in public). Slowdown inhalation, increase exhalation DURATION time, try to empty your lungs. Once you have the breathing rhythm set, try and disconnect or distract your mind from the viscous panic "I'm going to die "cycle. This not easy and takes a lot of time and practice. It took me a long time to learn how to stop a panic and then take action when the signs of one is about to start. My doctor finally helped me with a small dose of lorazepam, but that was after years of struggle.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member ,
Thanks Michael I'm going to try what you said to do
Hope your doing okay .
🌈🌬️☃️🌲❄️🙏🤗❤️