Answer Summary
Members rallied around a caregiver whose husband sleeps excessively due to COPD, offering both empathy and practical strategies for managing... Read more
I have heard something like that. The problem often is we don't really get good, deep sleep at night, so it almost doesn't count. I don't stay in bed for 20 hours, but sometimes I'm sleepy for much of the day. The best I can do is just keep pushing through with a routine and get my exercise in. 'Do not stop' is almost a mantra with me.
Would you mind discussing this a bit more, because I would like to know how you and your spouse handle it.
Is your spouse sleeping 20 hours a day due to COPD?
While extreme fatigue is common with COPD, sleeping 20 hours daily is unusually severe and warrants immediate medical attention. Many people with COPD experience persistent exhaustion, but this level of sleep suggests something more serious may be happening.
COPD causes Show Full Answer
Yes, it’s all done remotely, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. Be the squeaky wheel…
Saturday night, 24-JAN-26
We are waiting for the pulmonologist to call us back. They think that the setting are set too high for him. Hopefully we get some answers today. Have a wonderful day!
Part 2 of 2, @bolderspark:
Ask for copies of his pulmonary function tests (both from the initial diagnosis, as well as his most recent tests following his bouts of pneumonia), and he has to have to have a depression assessment, as well as a discussion with his pulmonary therapist or pulmonologist about whether or not he is able to be considered as a candidate for pulmonary rehab.
I’m sorry to lay this out so baldly, restating what you wrote, but there’s a lot to unpack in your post, and I didn’t want to misunderstand what you had written.
Hoping these suggestions help. He’s between a rock and a hard place, and only he can decide if it’s something he wants to address. Since depression impairs motivation, it’s important that the topic be addressed as part of figuring out if he wants to get better or is too depressed, and falling into the “failure to thrive”, self-neglect category.
You might consider suggesting marriage and family therapy counseling, hiring someone with a specialty in chronic illnesses and grief counseling for you both as a way to help him find himself again if you agree depression is playing a part in his situation.
*** I’m not a doctor, and this isn’t medical advice ***
Only you two know what’s going on, and until you take a step back to look at ALL the changes you have both been though in less than a year to try and find overall answers, it’s going to continue to be challenging.
Hugs, as I know this is hard. End of part 2 of 2.
Wednesday night, 21-JAN-26