Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
February 2
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes, I had that happen to me. Always ideal BP, but after several years of the COPD it got worse all of a sudden. It was found during prep for a bronchoscopy. It kept getting worse and wound up at the hospital. It turns out that the prednisone I recently started taking as daily maintenance was the cause.
Little did I know that the steroids in our medication, and the extra I was taking causes our heart rate to increase, increasing the pressure. That extra pressure brought out the problem of my arteries beginning to clog causing extra pressure on my heart and lungs. [you can read about my experience in my story, as I have went through the journey.]
So I recommend you discuss this with your pulmonologist and rule out any lung issues causing it. Then you will be referred to a cardiologist to find the root of the problem. It took 5 months of testing and doctor visits for me to find out I had a 95% blockage of my main artery. [Yes it make you SOB easier.]

It is usually I sign of heart issues as it works in conjunction with our lungs.
Hope this helps you some.

February 3
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi William, I agree that the copd may add to increased blood pressure. The heart and lungs work together. So increased pressure can occur within the blood vessels to get the blood flowing throughout the system. Talk to your physician. They may put you on a medication. This is difficult to deal with. Get into a good pulmonary rehab class if your doctor ok. It will help. You can read about mine it’s called “my new lungs” . It’s on zoom so anyone can join. It’s from a health system in Virginia. Very good. Take care , carol

February 2
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good topic. I've been wondering about just that thing. The last few times I've been to the doctor my BP has been slightly elevated whereas normally it's low. I have an appointment at the end of the month and I'll definitely bring up the subject as well as information about reha🙂

February 3
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good advice, @A MyCOPDTeam Member! I never realized prednisone can add to high BP. Glad you found the cause and hopefully your ticker is back to normal! Take care. John 😀 Tues noon

February 3
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks. I will definitely look into the Rehab class. My pulmanologist wants me to do that.

February 2

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
ashboro nc