Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I use Breztri twice a day along with 10 mg of prednisone daily. I’ve been trying to reduce the prednisone to 5 mg but it seems to b. Causing me to have more mucus and coughing. I’m afraid to stop the prednisone for afraid I’d only get worse.

February 28
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks for ur response. I really like my Breztri. Works fast and good. I normally don’t need my Nebbie or rescue inhaler unless I get sick. I’m going to talk to my pulmonary doctor and start weening off. Hopefully without problems. Otherwise I’ll do what is working.

February 28
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I use Breztri and it works extremely well. Talk to the Dr before quitting or reducing prednisone. Its dangerous to do this without Drs approval. I recently got off Prednisone because of side effects. The Dr says inhalers have such low dosage of steroids, shouldn't affect you. Hope and prayers for all. Be strong and positive. Hopefully we will all see a cure someday.

February 28
MyCOPDTeam

Is Breztri a steroid, and what does it contain?

Yes, Breztri does contain a steroid component. It's a combination inhaler that includes three medications: budesonide (a corticosteroid), glycopyrrolate (an anticholinergic bronchodilator), and formoterol (a long-acting beta agonist). This triple combination helps reduce Show Full Answer

Is Breztri a steroid, and what does it contain?

Yes, Breztri does contain a steroid component. It's a combination inhaler that includes three medications: budesonide (a corticosteroid), glycopyrrolate (an anticholinergic bronchodilator), and formoterol (a long-acting beta agonist). This triple combination helps reduce inflammation while opening your airways.

Breztri is designed as a maintenance inhaler to be used regularly, typically twice daily, to help manage COPD symptoms and prevent flare-ups. About reducing your prednisone:

It's understandable to be concerned about tapering prednisone, especially when you notice increased symptoms. Long-term oral corticosteroid use like prednisone can have serious side effects including osteoporosis, cataracts, and metabolic issues like diabetes, so reducing it when possible is a good goal.

However, the decision to reduce or stop prednisone should always be made with your doctor's guidance. They can help you taper slowly and safely while monitoring your symptoms. The increased mucus and coughing you're experiencing might need adjustments to your overall treatment plan rather than staying on higher-dose prednisone long-term.

Since you're already on Breztri (which contains an inhaled steroid), your doctor may be able to help you find the right balance between your inhaled and oral steroids.

February 28

Related Questions

View All