I am 60
Answer Summary
Members offered reassurance to someone newly diagnosed with emphysema at age 60, with several sharing that many community members are thriving... Read more
You are so very right, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.
Mom lived in denial from about 1987 onward as she struggled to accept the diagnosis, and while I moved back in with her during her last year of life in 2004 / 2005, I often remember our various vacations and adventures from 1987 onward, and what a trooper she was.
None of us have a date stamp on our butt, like a carton of milk. Even if we did, that day is not today, so focus on the fun vs the impending change of life. It really extends one’s quality of life, I think.
Tuesday night, 10-MAR-26
@A MyCOPDTeam Member, so are you! We're all doing the best we can.
Many people in here in their 80s, myself included. Take care of yourself, don't smoke, and your odds will go up in my opinion.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member there's a great book about diagnosis and prognosis called Goodbye to Clocks Ticking :How We Live While Dying by Joseph Monninger and it's a good read for those of us with progressive terminal conditions. Not morbid or hearts and floweres but a look at how we live our best life in the time we have left.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member, that reminds me of a TV ad I saw a few years ago, where the elderly bedridden person asked the nurse, "Am I going to die?" and the nurse replied, "Not tonight." She couldn't know that for sure, but I'll bet her response was comforting.