Answer Summary
Members explored the stages of COPD, with one member sharing detailed information about the newer GOLD ABC grouping system, explaining that it... Read more
@A MyCOPDTeam Member FEV stands for Forced Expiratory Volume. Sounds to me like it might mean how much air you exhale while blowing out? Obviously I don't really know, but I did look up FEV so I know that is right.đ
FEV1 helps measure the progression of lung conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or asthma. FEV stands for forced expiratory volume, which is the air you exhale in one second. A low FEV1 suggests a breathing obstruction.
Found on Google
My doctor doesn't like the old 123 standards. Because people compare it to stages of cancer. IT IS NOT the same. You can live 40 -50 years in each and every stage. The new ABC Gold Standards are more accurate to your condition and number of exacerbations, not only on how much lung volume you have left.
COPD Groups
Based on all of these things â your symptoms, spirometry results, and exacerbation risk â your doctor will put your COPD into one of these groups:
Group A (GOLD 1 or 2): Your symptoms are very mild. Your FEV-1 (forced expiratory volume)is 80% or more. You might have had no flare-ups over the past year, or perhaps just one. You werenât hospitalized for your symptoms.
Group B (GOLD 1 or 2):Your FEV-1 is between 50% and 80%. You have more symptoms than people in Group A. This is the stage where most people see their doctor for coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. You might have had one major flare-up, but you havenât been in the hospital for your symptoms within the past year.
Group C (GOLD 3 or 4): Air flow into and out of your lungs is severely limited. Your FEV-1 is between 30% and 50%. Youâve had more than two flare-ups in the past year, or youâve been admitted to the hospital at least once.
Group D (GOLD 3 or 4): Itâs extremely hard for you to breathe in or out. Youâve had at least two flare-ups in the past year, or youâve been hospitalized at least once. Doctors call this âend-stageâ COPD. That means you have very little lung function. Any new flare-ups could be life-threatening.
*Copied from: Webmd.com COPD Guid
Good morning @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I have had a PET scan once. They are time consuming, but extremely detailed, so that should give you some answers for sure. I am sorry I didn't look up your story before I started this, but if you are afraid of having cancer, the PET scan would definitely show it. I am sure it would show other things as well. No pain involved, just a more detailed CT scan. I wish you the very best outcome and I would like it if you kept us posted as to the results. I know you won't know right away, but when you feel up to it, let us know, we like to keep track of people. Hugs and prayers for a good outcome! Chris
March 24, 2026
Thank you very much! Your guys are soook awesome.