Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
March 27
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks Glenda
I am glad to know now which is better. I’m down to 7.5 for one more week of prednisone the I go to 7.5 and 5 mg rotation for two weeks then hopefully I can go to 5 mg. Not sure if I’ll get off the 5 mg altogether but doctor told me I can do nebulizer as often as I need too. I’ll try and do it when I cough a lot. I also do saline in nebulizer after treatment and flutter valve then I can cough and get mucus out. Hope u have a good day. Thanks for writing. I love ur posts. Seems like u got this stuff under control god bless u.

March 27
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My pulmonologist has cautioned me about using Prendisone unless absolutely necessary. He will only prescribe it on a short term taper dose and as little as necessary. He increased my nebulizer to 5 x a day and stated that was a much safer alternative.
3/27/26

March 27
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Prednisone is worse for your body. Like stated in the AI post above. All serious side effects.

March 27
MyCOPDTeam

Which is worse for your body: using a nebulizer more often or taking long-term prednisone to control mucus?

Long-term oral prednisone (like 10mg daily) carries more significant health risks than using a nebulizer more frequently. While nebulizers are simply delivery devices that convert liquid medication into mist without Show Full Answer

Which is worse for your body: using a nebulizer more often or taking long-term prednisone to control mucus?

Long-term oral prednisone (like 10mg daily) carries more significant health risks than using a nebulizer more frequently. While nebulizers are simply delivery devices that convert liquid medication into mist without requiring special breathing techniques, long-term oral corticosteroid use can lead to serious side effects.

The potential risks of long-term oral prednisone include:
- Osteoporosis (weakening of bones)
- Cataracts
- Serious metabolic disorders like diabetes
- Cushing's syndrome
- Weight gain
- Mood changes

Short courses of oral prednisone during COPD flare-ups are common and generally safer, but daily long-term use is a different story.

If mucus control is your main concern, talk with your healthcare provider about alternatives. They might consider:
- Inhaled corticosteroids (which have fewer systemic side effects than oral prednisone)
- Medications specifically for mucus management
- Adjusting your nebulizer treatments or medications

Using a nebulizer more frequently to manage symptoms is typically safer than daily oral prednisone, but your healthcare team should help determine the best approach for your specific situation.

March 27

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Toronto, ON