Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

It doesn't happen often but it is a pain and would love some input on how to fix it

March 29
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Carl, I have COPD and following your question, I find I can do only one thing at a time, speak or walk, not both at the same time. It may appear odd to others but that's the way it has to be. If not I can't do either, have to stop everything I'm doing and get my breath back. I hope it might be of help. Best wishes, David.

March 31
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The best way I know to deal with it is stop talking or doing whatever I'm doing. Be still for a few seconds. I don't worry because I remember this is normal for what I'm going through. It's just my lungs telling me that they need to catch up for a bit. Then after I'm settled down, I do a little purse lipped or deep breathing for exercise.

March 31
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Try 1 or 2 large breathes in nose..and out mouth...called a cleansing breath.....breath in very deep...it gives me a little energy...

March 30
MyCOPDTeam

Why does talking become difficult with emphysema?

Having a hard time talking occasionally is something other people with emphysema experience too. A MyCOPDTeam member shared, "If I walk slowly and don't panic, I can walk longer that way. But don't talk to me, then everything goes wrong... Huff and puff and can't breathe."

Show Full Answer

Why does talking become difficult with emphysema?

Having a hard time talking occasionally is something other people with emphysema experience too. A MyCOPDTeam member shared, "If I walk slowly and don't panic, I can walk longer that way. But don't talk to me, then everything goes wrong... Huff and puff and can't breathe."

This happens because emphysema damages the air sacs in your lungs, reducing their ability to absorb oxygen. When you talk, you're using air that your body needs for breathing, which can make you feel short of breath. The effort of speaking requires coordination between breathing and talking, which becomes harder when your lungs aren't working efficiently. What you can try:

- Practice pursed-lip breathing before and during conversations - this helps control your breathing
- Take breaks between sentences to catch your breath
- Speak more slowly and in shorter phrases
- Try not to panic when it happens, as anxiety can make breathing harder
- Consider pulmonary rehabilitation, which teaches special breathing techniques that can help with activities like talking

If this difficulty talking is getting worse or happening more frequently, it's worth mentioning to your doctor. They can assess whether your treatment plan needs adjusting or if you might benefit from pulmonary rehabilitation.

March 29
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks for your response. I do about what you do

March 31

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bloomington, IN