Yes, a dry cough with emphysema is actually quite common and can be considered normal. Emphysema primarily affects the air sacs in the lungs, and its main symptom is shortness of breath rather than a mucus-producing cough. A wet, mucus-producing cough is more associated with chronic bronchitis, the other main type of COPD Show Full Answer
I am the same way. My main cough issues are from sinuses, and that's just constant throat clearing.
Drinking a lot of water is an excellent idea @A MyCOPDTeam Member. Later on if you do start producing phlegm it will keep that phlegm thin enough so it's easier to expel. You might also want to check into getting a humidifier; they help keep moisture in the air also. Good luck to you. Hugs, Chris
I have a dry cough. I produce little to no phlegm. Sometimes it seems that I am coughing from odors coming from my lungs (if there is such a possible thing). Mostly, the irritant seems to be caused by odors or a lack of moisture in the air, which is causing me to cough. It's not frequent but annoying when it does happen and it elongates. I am experimenting with solutions and the first is to hydrate. It usually helps. I hope this helps.
Thank you🙂