Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭

Since I quit taking blood pressure medicine I've noticed that my blood pressure has gone way down from 175/110 to 145/89 is it possible that my blood pressure meds the cause of this. And is it safe to just quit. It's been 2months since I stopped I haven't talked to my Dr. For his/her opinion plus does it affect my COPD. In anyway. I haven't noticed any changes except one less pill to take has anyone just stopped with high blood pressure meds. Am I a candidate for a heart. Attract and should I go… read more

April 27
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have to be honest and say that I have never heard of anyone stopping a blood pressure medication without consulting with their doctor. That was a dangerous step to take, but I am hoping no major damage was done @RhondaKaufman. Same goes for you @A MyCOPDTeam Member. This is strictly MY opinion, but stopping any kind of medication, especially blood pressure medication is ranked #1 on my list of things not to do. No, I am not a doctor and as I said, this is strictly MY OWN opinion, but I hope you both now consult with your doctor's about this. I also hope you both have a great day today and hope everything works out well for you! Hugs Chis

April 27
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You’re very welcome, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I totally understand. I’m on my fourth medicine that I’ve tried.. the first two I got different side effects that I couldn’t live with. The third medicine I’m taking and living with, but it isn’t taking my blood pressure down enough so they added the fourth medication . For the last three days I had sinus stuffy nose, fatigue, face flushing,slight headache, tinnitus. First day was the worst!. But I just decided to try to go through it for a few days ,as the Internet said it should pass after a few days …and every day has been better than the last. And I think I can live with this one, especially if it takes my blood pressure down further. Several of the medications I cannot take because of my lung disease. I’m lucky to have a good doctor that knows these things. It’s annoying though because it takes a while, and you have to try so many different things. But as soon as I get my blood pressure down, I can take a sigh of relief. Let me know how things go for you.

April 27 (edited)
MyCOPDTeam

This is a really important question, and it's great that blood pressure has come down — but please don't make this call alone. Stopping blood pressure medication without a doctor's guidance can be risky, even if numbers look better.

Here's why this matters:

- 145/89 is still considered elevated and not in the safe range
- Show Full Answer

This is a really important question, and it's great that blood pressure has come down — but please don't make this call alone. Stopping blood pressure medication without a doctor's guidance can be risky, even if numbers look better.

Here's why this matters:

- 145/89 is still considered elevated and not in the safe range
- Blood pressure can spike suddenly without warning symptoms
- Going two months without medical supervision on this is a long time As for COPD — some blood pressure medications can actually affect breathing, so your doctor needs to know about this change. They can review whether the original medication was right for you, or whether a different one might work better alongside COPD management.

The most important step right now is to contact a doctor before making any further decisions. This isn't something to navigate alone, and a quick appointment could give real clarity and peace of mind.

April 27
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I'm no longer on prednisone! I suffered many side effects. I'm still dealing with issues caused by prednisone.

June 3
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Never stop taking any medication with out letting your doctor know. In fact sometimes it may be an allergic reaction you are having to the medication and that is important to have in your medical record.
I found out that taking prednisone will increase your BP. In fact because I was on a maintenance dose it is what caused my BP in the first place. I have now weened down to 2.5mg every other day with prednisone. I have changed my diet and after a year I have been able to cut back on my BP meds. Diet and exercise also controls your heart and BP.
We all react differently to medications. But be honest with your doctor if it is not a good fit tell them, if it has a side effect let them know. But also check reactions from other medications. I double check with my regular doc and my pharmacist now.

April 28

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Capitola, CA