Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ormond Beach, FL

My oximeter read 97 but I’m coughing and I can’t loosen up tight mucus.

April 27
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members discussed whether using a nebulizer to loosen mucus is safe when oxygen levels are normal, with the general consensus being that it is... Read more

Members discussed whether using a nebulizer to loosen mucus is safe when oxygen levels are normal, with the general consensus being that it is helpful but depends on the medication being used. Several members shared practical tips including staying well hydrated to keep mucus thin, using flutter valves like the Aerobika after nebulizer treatments, gargling warm salt water, and properly cleaning and maintaining nebulizer equipment. A recurring theme was the importance of working closely with doctors, especially for ongoing issues like persistent throat phlegm, with some members suggesting an ENT specialist if symptoms fall outside typical COPD patterns.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

I drink lots of water to stay hydrated to keep my mucus thin,
If I am having a really hard time my doctor proscribed Sodium Chloride Inhalation solution that i use with my nebulizer.

April 27
MyCOPDTeam

Great question — and good news! Having an O2 sat of 97% doesn't mean a nebulizer is off the table. A nebulizer can still be really helpful for loosening tight mucus even when oxygen levels are normal.

With COPD, mucus buildup is a common issue regardless of what your oximeter reads. The nebulizer works by turning liquid Show Full Answer

Great question — and good news! Having an O2 sat of 97% doesn't mean a nebulizer is off the table. A nebulizer can still be really helpful for loosening tight mucus even when oxygen levels are normal.

With COPD, mucus buildup is a common issue regardless of what your oximeter reads. The nebulizer works by turning liquid medication into a fine mist that you breathe in, which can help loosen and clear that stubborn mucus from your airways. A respiratory therapist can also show you how to use a flutter device attached to your nebulizer, which is specifically designed to help break up and remove chest congestion more effectively.

Here are a few tips that MyCOPDTeam members have found helpful for loosening mucus:

- Humming a deep note can vibrate the voice box and help loosen mucus in the throat
- Singing is said to be great exercise for the lungs and chest
- Using your nebulizer before activities like showering can make breathing easier overall

Always check with your doctor or respiratory therapist before making any changes to how you use your nebulizer, just to make sure you're using the right medication and technique for your situation.

April 27
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Well @A MyCOPDTeam Member, Steroids don't help or remove the phlegm. Your new pulmonologist is treating your COPD and he also gave you a medication to treat your gastric throat issue. But FYI some phlegm in your throat is not a symptom of COPD. Because like a a hair stuck in you throat you can eat a pieces of bread or something and it will clear it. I think you're trying to self diagnose something and you are wrong with your assumption. Clearly if there is a lump in your throat you need to see your primary care doctor not a lung doctor. It is sounding more like a thyroid or throat cancer issue. You're headed down the wrong road letting it grow. I am not a doctor, that is just my opinion on what I have heard from your complaints and posts. I clear my mucus many times a day, never stuck in my throat! It my get stuck deep in the lungs but still can be released by vibration. You tried the Mucinex which does dissolve mucus, your new doctor told you to stop. So clearly it is not phlegm in your throat. He is not going to do any other treatment to a lump stuck in your throat, it beyond his specialty.
JMO Breathe Ez......

May 5
A MyCOPDTeam Member

That is why I like a Mediterranean diet, it has everything. I too have gained 45 lbs from the steroids. I am still trying to lose some of it. Watching carbs helps. and those are healthy foods. Did you know if you precook pasta, rice, or potatoes and refrigerate them that it change is it from bad cholesterol to good cholesterol. I par cook my pasta now and put it in the fridge for a few hours. Then heat it up aging when making dinner. It will improve your LDL on the blood test.

I have a small and large battery for my POC. I use the large one and can get 5 hours out of it on setting 3. But I have learned since it is pulse dose and when I am walking a lot, I breathe more breaths like 26 breaths per minuet. It uses more of my battery life. Resting breaths are 16-18. Your App has that information on it if you connect to your phone. I sometimes when driving will turn my down to 2 since I am not exerting much and don't need as much. [Not advising you to do that though] I heard Amazon has a sale on the large batteries for it. But don't know if it has passed. I found it is well worth having the larger battery. Although makes the unit heavier. You could always buy an extra small battery.
You're not bothering me and I am willing to share what works for me. Doesn't mean you have to do it or that it will work for you. But may help others that are reading and not posting, you never know. Sounds to me you have a pretty good grip on your COPD also. You're doing everything like I would. Have a good breath easy day....

May 2
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@MichealZerjav. Thanks for the advice. As far as a Mediterranean diet. I’m not into special diets. I don’t eat right but I don’t like a lot of that kinda food. About 3 years ago I was 120lbs and since the prednisone I have gained a lot of weight. I was always skinny now I’ve gained 45 lbs. I’m not a fan of salads. I’m trying to cut back on pasta and. Bread. Changed to wheat bread and pasta. I don’t eat fried foods I don’t cook so I’m at my honeys mercy but as I get exercising more I may lose some. I went to my doctor the other day w my POC Ingeon 5 we were only gone for a hour and half and when we got home batteryonly had 24% life left. I use it on 3. Does urs last longer than that? If I use it on 2 it last longer. I’m lucky I have my scooter cuz I’m not exerting myself so I’m ok at 2. I’m not spending $400 for the bigger battery. That’s crazy price. Ok I’ve bugged u enough. Have a good weekend. Talk again soon.
Thanks again for ur advice and experience I appreciate it.
Hugs from Dawn.

May 1

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Scotland united Kingdom

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Texas City, TX

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭