Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Athens, TN

Hey
My pharmacy can no longer get the generic AstraZeneca brand of Symbacort. (Budesonide/Formoterol)
I don't know if it was discontinued by the manufacturer, the pharmacy or if there is a shortage but my pharmacist said it's not even in his computer anymore.
My insurance doesn't cover Symbacort. They only cover the generic AstraZeneca brand OR Breyna.
I tried Breyna and it didn't control my COPD. On Breyna, I was using my rescue inhaler 4× a day or more instead of 2x day. I was nautious,… read more

May 18
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

No, actually, I had the opposite problem. They wanted me to change over to the generic. I told my pulmonologist no ,and she said that’s fine… so I’m still on the regular Symbicort. Talk to your pulmonologist. Mine usually can navigate those things for me.

May 18 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The pharmacists usually work harder to help you out than the doctors do

May 18
MyCOPDTeam

That sounds incredibly frustrating, especially when a medication was working so well for you. The symptoms experienced on Breyna — nausea, dizziness, and tongue swelling — are worth taking seriously, particularly the swelling, which should be reported to a doctor right away if it hasn't been already.

Regarding the Show Full Answer

That sounds incredibly frustrating, especially when a medication was working so well for you. The symptoms experienced on Breyna — nausea, dizziness, and tongue swelling — are worth taking seriously, particularly the swelling, which should be reported to a doctor right away if it hasn't been already.

Regarding the AstraZeneca generic shortage, this isn't something that can be confirmed here, but calling around to other pharmacies is absolutely the right move. A doctor or pharmacist may also be able to help navigate insurance coverage for alternatives. Breztri Aerosphere (Budesonide/Glycopyrrolate/Formoterol) is worth asking a doctor about. It's a combination inhaler that includes:

- A corticosteroid (budesonide) to reduce airway inflammation
- Two long-acting bronchodilators to help keep airways open

It's similar in some ways to Symbicort but adds a third medication, which may offer better symptom control for some people with COPD. A really important next step would be contacting the prescribing doctor directly to explain what happened with Breyna and the shortage. They may be able to:

- Write a letter of medical necessity to the insurance company to get Symbicort covered
- Suggest a clinically appropriate alternative like Breztri
- Connect with AstraZeneca's patient assistance program for cost support

Don't settle for a medication that isn't controlling symptoms — that's exactly the kind of situation a doctor needs to know about.

May 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thankyou!

May 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I use Breztri it works for me but even with my insurance its still expensive! Hope you can find something to help you soon if I were you I would call your doctor!♥️🙏🏻 05/18/2026

May 18

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Manteca, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Texarkana, TX