Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
June 3
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members with COPD shared experiences with easy bruising and thin, fragile skin, noting that bumps or even scratching can cause red or purple... Read more

Members with COPD shared experiences with easy bruising and thin, fragile skin, noting that bumps or even scratching can cause red or purple blotches that take weeks to heal. Several members offered practical tips like using a fine bristle brush to relieve itching without bruising, trying Gold Bond medicated spray for itch relief, and keeping Arnica Gel on hand as an affordable over-the-counter option for bruising. A recurring theme was that aging skin combined with COPD medications can make these issues more common, and members encouraged each other to mention symptoms to their doctor while finding humor and comfort in knowing they are not alone.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hello @A MyCOPDTeam Member. Many people on this site have the bruising. Mine comes from blood thinners, but I understand it is quite common for us to bruise easily. Our skin is much thinner and dryer than it was when we were younger. They do disappear, but others some in in different spots I'm sorry to say.
I have a severe itch mostly on my left arm and my allergist told me to get some special cream (expensive). CeraVe is one and Aveeno is another, Eucirna and there are others too, but all about the same price range. She also said not to use anything with fragrance in it, but that's just me and I'm not sure if my itch is from COPD or kidney disease or both or what. Anyway, I thought this info might help you and others. I haven't used it yet but I will tonight. Chris 6/3/26

June 3
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good morning @A MyCOPDTeam Member. Wow! Having to be careful just to dry yourself off is pretty tricky I bet. Several People have mentioned that they get a terrycloth robe and put that on rather than trying to dry off, but you still need to get your legs and feet dry. Oh poor you for having to be so careful! I would also suggest getting some of those washcloths that you use that you don't need soap or water or anything, but you'd still have to rub your skin; maybe they would be a little gentler though. I have had those skin tears, but not very often, so I know they can be a real pain especially if you are on blood thinners. You take care as I'm sure you are, and have a great day. Hugs, Chris 6/2626

June 26
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member what I found works the best for itching is gold bond medicated spray and it's a lot less expensive

June 6
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have tremors also @A MyCOPDTeam Member. Mine are called familial or essential tremors and I have two different kinds of medication that controls them. If yours are coming from an inhaler or other medication, talk to your doc and see if there is some kind of pill that will help that. I know some medication causes tremors also. Good luck. Chris 6/4/26

June 4
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I get them all the time on my arms and legs. If I bump into something where one is the skin will tear and bleed. I have to cover with a band-aid for 4 or 5 days so as not to get blood everywhere. Keep J&J in business. (LOL) Also have to be gentle with the towel after showering or will tear my thin skin. Just another perk for living a long life.

June 25

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Banning, CA