Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
June 6
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around the question of maintaining relationships with people who still smoke, sharing personal stories about setting... Read more

Members rallied around the question of maintaining relationships with people who still smoke, sharing personal stories about setting boundaries like asking partners or friends to smoke outside or in separate spaces. Several members reflected on their own quitting journeys, including relapses after years of being smoke-free, and the powerful role health scares like COPD and hospitalization played in finally stopping for good. A recurring theme was the importance of self-compassion, with members also supporting one another through related struggles like anxiety, unintended weight loss, and the emotional weight of living with chronic illness.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Well, ask your partner to smoke outside and away from you. Sad, I have lost friends at work because I don't smoke anymore. Now that I am retired, it doesn't matter. If people can't respect your health condition thats a problem. I won't let anyone smoke near me in an enclosed area...

June 10
A MyCOPDTeam Member

We really were that desperate cigarettes had control over us

June 8
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Losing weight is not for the faint of heart, especially when you do not need to do so. I am at my lowest, which is 80 lbs. I used to weigh 140 lbs. Only nice thing about it is the new wardrobe! Currently I am flirting with the high 80's and actually hit 90 twice last week. Feel like I am always eating. I am cachectic (muscle loss). I have started a chair yoga to try to get more active, also. Hope everyone is doing well today! Teri

June 11
A MyCOPDTeam Member

What an accomplishment for everyone that's lost weight. Keep up the nonsmoking Kim. I smoked for 50 years and tried to quit many times. Thank God I finally quit. 🥰

June 10
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I say I smoked my whole life almost 66 yrs. My parents smoked in the house car never opened windows. Had my first cigarette at age 5. The rest is history. Here I am proud 35 days clean and yes the hardest thing to quit ever and I've quit many times but did I stay that way ? No now determined .
Ive lost so much weight my lowest was 83lbs. Drove my motorcycle last year no problems at 88 lbs. This year about dropped it in garage. . So bummed I cant do what I enjoy because of my choices. Goals gain my healthy weight & muscles back. And not smoke.

June 9

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Charlotte, NC

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New York, NY