I am also wondering if or how to know if it works and how to know
From experience, I've used humidifier. As mentioned above, 40% is the target. I use one during winter when running heater drys the air. Keep the device clean. Change the water daily. Break down and thoroughly clean the device weekly using vinegar water. Follow the manufacturer's instructions. It's a big help.
Humidifiers can be helpful for COPD, but it really depends on the humidity levels in your home. The sweet spot for indoor humidity is around 40%. Too much moisture can actually make things worse by encouraging mold, mildew, and bacteria to grow — all of which can reduce air quality and trigger flare-ups.
The key is Show Full Answer
I use one during the winter as well to help keep the lungs moist and the mucus moving! Especially if you end up with a cold or anything. I use distilled water in mine.
Hi, @A MyCOPDTeam Member - some of us do better with a dehumidifier vs a humidifier. Please be aware that most AC units include a “dehumidifier” feature when running, so if you live in a particularly humid area, you may be wasting money humidifying air that the AC unit is dehumidifying…
That being said, you should be able to get a daily humidity report for your zip code that will provide that data at to cost to you to get it. (See photo).
Google your question, and you should be able to get the answer on demand for either Glendale, AZ, or you zip code. Good luck.
Tuesday afternoon, 01-JUL-26
Thanks @A MyCOPDTeam Member . My humidifier does say to use distilled water and I clean them once a week .now I need to find a place that sells air quality detectors. Will look on line