My mom is on oxygen & uses a humifyer with her machine & gets these scabs in her nostrils that bleed & clogs up her airway. Im searching for people who use oxygen who have similiar issues & advice. Thanks
Answer Summary
Members offered helpful advice for a caregiver asking about dry nose and scabs caused by oxygen cannula use, with popular suggestions... Read more
I think you said your mom is on Hospice @A MyCOPDTeam Member is that right? I would think you would be able to ask for someone who fits your needs better than it sounds like you have been getting. Just tell them you want someone new who will take care of your mom the way she should be taken care of. No reason you and especially youyr mom should have to suffer with someone who isn't competent. Good luck, but stick to your guns. Hugs, Chris 9/5/26
@A MyCOPDTeam Member I'm pretty sure I don't have all of your mom's story, so maybe I'm getting the wrong feeling. Anyway, are you aware that if you aren't satisfied with your Mom's hospice care, you can ' fire' your hospice team, and 'hire' a different one. I've come across that information from several different places/people. Good luck with that .
9/4/2026
I use Ayr Saline Gel. Putting it in is not graceful or charming at all, but it helps a LOT!
This is such a common issue for people using oxygen therapy, and your mom is definitely not alone! Dry nostrils, irritation, and scabbing from a nasal cannula are frequently discussed among MyCOPDTeam members.
Here are some tips that members and medical guidance suggest:
- Saline nasal spray — A gentle saline mist can Show Full Answer
You are a good son @A MyCOPDTeam Member! Not every son would take care of their mom like you do. I'm sorry things didn't work out with the CNA's though and give YOU a little time to take care of yourself. Hugs, Chris 9/5/26