Does anyone else have trouble sleeping because the cannula hurts their ears?
Yes, ear discomfort from oxygen cannulas is a common issue that many people with COPD experience, especially when wearing oxygen 24/7 or during sleep.
Here are some helpful tips that MyCOPDTeam members have found useful:
• Use soft padding or Show Full Answer
Does anyone else have trouble sleeping because the cannula hurts their ears?
Yes, ear discomfort from oxygen cannulas is a common issue that many people with COPD experience, especially when wearing oxygen 24/7 or during sleep.
Here are some helpful tips that MyCOPDTeam members have found useful:
• Use soft padding or foam ear cushions that slip over the tubing to reduce pressure on your ears
• Try wearing the cannula backward (with the tubing going behind your head instead of in front) to distribute pressure differently
• Consider using cannula ear guards or wraps specifically designed for comfort
• Adjust the fit so it's snug but not too tight - the tubing shouldn't dig into your skin
• Take short breaks to reposition the cannula if possible, giving your ears a rest
Some members have also found that switching between different styles of cannulas can help, as some are softer or have different designs that may be more comfortable for sleeping.
If the discomfort continues or causes skin breakdown, talk with your respiratory therapist or healthcare provider. They may be able to recommend alternative cannula styles or additional comfort accessories that could work better for you.
AI-generated responses are not a substitute for medical advice. These services are not intended to
diagnose, treat, or cure any condition or disease. Always ask your doctor about specific health concerns.
Using Oxygen for COPD
January 11
Wow, and I thought I had problems. I use my hair as a cushion and I have big enough ears that I don;;t have that problem. I am no dumbo though. I have three different pillows of different softness that helps. One pillow is from Walmart. wearing a hat is something I might try. Thanks
January 15
There are oxygen ear protector cushions available on Amazon. You might explore that but first I’d ask you oxygen supplied if they provide those to their clients. It’s very possible they do. I do hope you find some relief soon
January 12
I don't have the problem myself. Well as long as someone doesn't trip on my hose or it get hung up on things a lot. But I have heard some people order a foam cushion on line that goes over the cannula to help that.
January 12
I had several different problems with cannula usage at night.
Cannula would not stay on my small ears. used a beanie hat to clamp my ears over the canula. (beanie hat/ski hat light weight).
unable breath thru stuffy nose. put canula under lower lip until solution found.
sore ears from cannula tube. secure cannula behind my head instead of under chin.
January 14