Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
August 23
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I'm not sure what your oxygen setting is, but I'm on 2l most of the time. I asked my pulmonologist about my levels as they were/are staying in the upper 90's. In my case, she doesn't seem concerned about that , so no changes at all. I'm curious what you end up doing.
Hey, I couldn't help but notice that you are here in beautiful Colorado, as I am!
Best of luck!

August 26
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Don't under estimate what CO2 retention will do. @A MyCOPDTeam Member If your doctor believed you had it, he would order an ABG test done. You would know by the headaches, your lips, and nails turning blue, as well as ash colored skin. But the only way to know is with the Arterial Blood Gas test. I Have a tendency of holding my breath or not fully exhaling, so I have hypoxemia not a retainer.
I wish some retainers would reply and help people understand more.

[As for the question, I will reply to that in a separate message as this is a Q&A question posted by @A MyCOPDTeam Member and I don't think it is appropriate to talk about me.]

August 26
MyCOPDTeam

That's a really important concern, and it's great that you're paying attention to your levels — but please don't turn off your oxygen without talking to your doctor first. Adjusting oxygen on your own can be risky.

Here's why this matters with COPD:

- Too much oxygen can cause CO2 to build up in some people with COPD, a Show Full Answer

That's a really important concern, and it's great that you're paying attention to your levels — but please don't turn off your oxygen without talking to your doctor first. Adjusting oxygen on your own can be risky.

Here's why this matters with COPD:

- Too much oxygen can cause CO2 to build up in some people with COPD, a condition called oxygen-induced hypercapnia
- But too little oxygen can also cause serious harm to your organs
- Your doctor may have set your target range specifically for your situation A healthy target oxygen saturation for many people with COPD is generally between 88–92%, but this can vary person to person. Your doctor may have a specific range in mind just for you.

The safest step is to call your doctor or care team and describe what levels you're seeing. They can advise whether your flow rate needs adjusting — that's really a decision best made with their guidance, not by switching off the supply entirely.

August 23
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, Good morning to you and hope all is well. I believe I'm a CO2 retainer which contributes to my constant fatigue but have never had the arterial blood test to confirm it. My pulmonist has told me the regular blood test only give you a calculated CO2 level. Haven't had the arterial test because don't believe there is much that can be done for high CO2 levels. On another subject, I've wondered what nationally Zerjav is. I'm Scotch/Irish with a name like McElfresh. Haven't run across many with that name in my lifetime except uncles and male cousins. Take care and have a good one. WallyMac

August 25
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Rick, why do you worry about your CO2 levels? Are you a CO2 retainer?
I don't, because anything above 88 is good news for me!

August 25

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
I am from East Texas

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bethel Park, PA