Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Collierville, TN

It seems like my vision has taken a turn for the worse since I went back on Spiriva. My opthalmologist is keeping a watch on my glaucoma and says my new loss of vision is normal for my age. AI says that Spiriva can aggravate angle closure glaucoma. I first need to find out what kind of glaucoma I have, but was wondering what your spiriva history is. Thanks for any input.

September 17
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members connected over the question of whether Spiriva or blood pressure medications may be linked to glaucoma and worsening vision, with many... Read more

Members connected over the question of whether Spiriva or blood pressure medications may be linked to glaucoma and worsening vision, with many sharing their own eye health journeys alongside their COPD treatments. Several members noted that anticholinergic medications like Spiriva and Breztri can affect eyesight, while others described experiences with cataract surgery, double vision, prism lenses, and being monitored for glaucoma. A recurring theme was the difficult balance between managing breathing and protecting vision, with members encouraging each other to consult ophthalmologists and advocate for themselves with their medical teams.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hello again, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I never really knew whether or not Spiriva helped me, except that my coughing has decreased a good deal lately. I guess I'm just going to play it by ear as I go.
I still believe exercise, water and a reasonably good diet can do what a lot of medicine cannot do. Maybe balance is the answer?

September 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi @A MyCOPDTeam Member I just read your message to @A MyCOPDTeam Member regarding vision. I too have had lots of vision problems including double vision. About 5 yrs ago I went an eye specialist/surgeon and had surgery on one of my eyes. She shortened one of the muscles and lengthened another in the eye to help. I still have to wear glasses with prisms to correct the rest of remaining problem. I have had to have the prism strength adjusted over the years but its doable and I no longer have double vision. You might want to discuss prisms with your ophthalmologist. It is a very common correction. It is true that all these COPD meds mess with our eyes and can cause glaucoma. I'm being watched closely for that. I am due for my yearly check up in Jan. I know that I need a new RX for my glasses because my vision has gotten worse. Jael, I am not using Spiriva but Breztri has an anticholinergic that messes with our eyes...as can Spiriva being an anticholinergic. Best luck to both of you! hugs..9/24/26

5 days ago
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Copd isn't the only serious ailment, and I would have been scared spitless had I been in your shoes when Bill's B/P dropped so low. I didn't know that water could bring the pressure back up, very interesting. Maybe he was dehydrated? Bill is in good hands with you at his side. I remember all too well how tiring and stressful caring for your spouse can be, but with all the prayers and with God on your side, you can do it!! He will improve, it is just going to take time and patience for both of you. I'll be praying continuously for both of you. I'm glad that you feel comfortable to share what is going on with Bill so that all of us can pray. We are a family, and OUR own personal family members are part of us, so of course we can share and ask for prayer whether they have copd or not. If someone should be offended by this, then they shouldn't be part of our team, period!! Part of our marriage vows was 'let no man put assunder', and I believe that should be true here with our members. @A MyCOPDTeam Member I'm just glad that you are unafraid to share!!! hugs, prayers and blessings...9/20/26

September 20
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I’ve been taking spirva and Wixela for several years now. No vision problems yet, but with these prescriptions you never know what to expect

September 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

No way would harm myself!! That was just a very common expression to express how hard I would work in my house before the housecleaners arrived. Good Grief!!!

September 20

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Wilmington, NC

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Chilliwack, BC Canada

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
ashboro nc

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In