Due to past radiation, I have swallowing problems. Sometimes at the same time, my nose is clogged as is my throat. So breathing is blocked and concerning to me . Tried blasting my nasal passages with saline etc, and clearing my throat any way I can think of. Has anyone else have/had this problem? I sure hope you haven't, but in a way, I hope you do , if you get my reasoning. Sorry for that comment. Thanks to anyone
I guess I should edit just a little. I feel clogged but not like having… read more
Answer Summary
Members dealing with breathing and mucus problems after radiation treatment came together to share what has helped them cope, with many... Read more
Good morning @JeanKlley. For a while I had a hard time even getting water to go down. As it happened I had an appointment with my gastroenterologist and a couple of days later he did an endoscopy (actually it was something a little more than that, but I don't remember what he called it) on me and found that I had a gel-like substance in my throat with black spots in it. I don't to this day know what the black spots were from, but I knew right off what the gel-like substance was. I have a plastic tube in my throat and have to use water soluble gel on it before I put it in my throat. I had been using the store brand rather than the more expensive KY Jelly, and once I started using the Ky again that gel-like thing disappeared too. So if you are still having trouble swallowing ask a gastroenterologist or an ENT guy. They were also able to stretch my throat a bit so food would go down easier. I don't know if you have a tube in your throat or not, but just a suggestion if you do. Good luck. Hugs, Chris 9//22/23
@A MyCOPDTeam Member I am currently getting over 6 weeks of flare-up in my upper respiratory system and it was like I was always choking on very thick and sticky phelpm and I am left weakened from coughing so harsh , going to try NAC plus going on prednisone maintenance dosage and antibiotic full time and if I can find a higher dosage of Mucinex I will try the Mucinex and the NAC to see if eithèr of them will work for me if not then dr will have to find another drug for this cough and phelmp problem ,make sure you get Dr. advice before trying anything I hope it works for you ! 09/21/2026 @7 pm
Resprologist recommended that I use Breath Right strips on my nose.
Deviated septum are a common problem, I wear the strip for 12hrs a day and the one nostril that causes me problems stays open.
Hydration is for me the key. Drinking water. Using Saline. The main thing is good air and bad air out. You need to do full exhale get it all out while you're doing both of those previous hydration levels. I don't know what else to say. If you don't hydrate you can't walk. If you don't exercise you will decline.
You also need to keep your mental acuity High. I'm planning one or two cruises to the Caribbean this winter. I need to go have fun I can't stay at home. fortunate that I can still move. So I'm booking a solo tour maybe two. You have to be positive
We'll all have to put a bug in managements ear @A MyCOPDTeam Member this place would never be the same without you ❤️