Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Victoria, TX
March 17, 2015
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I've been on protein powder for 10 yrs. I think it helps . But you have to work to keep the muscles you have left , then you can rebuild some.

March 19, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Muscle mass can be regained. I can tell you this from personal experience. I have not tried the protein powder, but my Dr. has suggested it. I do plan to start that this week. It will take you longer to build back the muscle, but it can be done.

March 22, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Everybody looses muscle mass as they age. Lack of exercise is a big culprit. Weight bearing exercise can help, but don't expect to ever be the way you were 15 years ago or even 10. You have to work to keep what you have and work harder to rebuild. This is not something specific to COPD, it happens to everyone as they age. Take care and remember to breath deeply.

March 20, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I never gained weight on the prenisone but 1#. I couldn't. I was a Weight Watcher Leader/Ambassador. However, when I got to 108 the doctors didn't want me to loose anymore. I tried all I could, but when I went last week to GP I was down to 89. They said it isn't good for my kidneys after having kidney failure. Now I'm doing Protein Shakes, etc before I go to the Pulmonary Doctor. I have an eating disorder. I've weighed over 200 and also spent 3 months in the hospital with anorexia. That is why the WW. Mentally I knew if I weighed etween certain numbers I was healthy. Well now you almost know all my medical history. LOL. I've got to finish my notifications because my dog is wanting to go to bed. God Blessings for good breaths tonite. Smile.

March 18, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I was on that amount for 14 years. Then when the COPD really manifested full blown, they took me off and I only use it when necessary. @A MyCOPDTeam Member yes we loose muscle mass because at first we do nothing and we have to start doing something all over and start building our body up.

March 18, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Winamac, IN

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
London, UK