Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
April 27, 2015
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

In 2003, I was very heavy, out of shape and on O2 24/7. I lost over 100 pounds using a diet and exercise combination and got off the O2 for about 8 years. Now I use it for exercise, sleeping and flying. I think it was the weight loss that made the most difference, but the exercise was a huge part of that, too.

Jean

April 27, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

While I agree attitude is a big part of it, COPD is progressive. I know I will not be getting off oxygen by having a good attitude. My only hope is a lung transplant. My pulmonologist has already referred me, and I am being seen by the Cleveland Clinic. I know of a man who went from oxygen 24/7, 5-6 liters to zero usage after a single lung transplant. It has been 3 years for him now. He golfs and bowls 4 nights/week.... Very encouraging! Make sure your pulmonologist is proactive. My first two basically told me to go home and wait to die. Bah!

November 10, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I will be 77 on 11/16 and was diagnosed in February with COPD. I was a Firefighter for 21 years, retired at age 50. Went back to my old profession (chef) and retired at 72. on April 1,2012. In Dec. of 2012 they found I had colon cancer. Surgery and 6 months chemo I'm free and have been since. So the COPD was something new for me. At first they had me on 24/7 O2 and albuteral 4 times a day. I have been a very active most of my life. The albuteral was not doing much, so I quit taking it. I discussed the O2 with my pulmonoligist. Because of my prior experience with water flows etc. I felt that my problem was a short supply and a slow delivery. Not wanting to give up my big garden 'we' decided I would learn to slow down and smell the roses (and the cabbage,garlic,carrots,etc) I sent all the O2 equipment back and now I'm doing well just a little slower. Attitude has a lot to do with it. My lung cap. is 37%. my last doctor visit my O2 level was 95. I have a wonderful wife, very supporting. She tells others not to count me out of activities. Give me the choice. I work with my church 'helping hands' ministry. Doing for others less fortunate. This year I have worked on Gardens, flooring, and roofing projects.

November 9, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Exercise does make a huge difference! Start slowly and do what you can. You will increase your stamina and breathing power. If you are not in a pulmonary rehab, ask your doctor about recommending one. I have severe COPD and thought I was done two years ago. I am decreasing my daily dosage of prednisone, too.

November 9, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A few years back I asked my Pulmonoligist if I would be on O2 from then on. His response was "only if you want to live longer".

April 28, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Oaklyn, NJ