Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Piggott, AR

I was just curious if anyone on here has undergone a double lung transplant. My dr. said that's possibly where i'm headed in the future. I'm fairly young and quite healthy with the exception of COPD, but I'm really apprehensive. Any information?

April 29, 2015
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have several friends who have had double TX's. If you really want good information, I recommend this website: http://www.2ndwind.org/

It's the support group for lung transplant recipients. You'll get a lot of good information here.

I think the thing to remember is this: you have to be judged to be very likely to die within two years in order to make the list, so when it gets to that point, the choice is very clear. If you want to live, that's what you do. There are very good reasons not to have one, too, but you have to know that choice is final. Some people feel that with a TX you just trade one set of problems for another set of problems. That's why it's important to research it and talk with people.

Jean

April 29, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A gentleman I went to pulmonary Rehab with had this and is doing great. He had his done at Duke Univ. in NC. He bhad to lose weight and follow a exercise program before his surgery!

April 29, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My transplant evaluation team at Cleveland Clinic made it very clear that a transplant is trading one set of medical problems for another set of medical problems. It is more of a quality of life issue. And like Goldilocks, everything has to be "just right" to get on the list. Really sick, but strong and healthy enough to survive the surgery. I want to hold out until they can grow me lungs from my own DNA. That should be another 15-20 years.

April 29, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks for the information, I'm hoping i have a lot longer than a few years but who knows. Grateful for each and every day.

April 30, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
League City, TX

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭