Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Smyrna Beach, FL

I find the colder the house is the better I can breath. I much prefer the colder weather instead of the hot muggy weather

July 3, 2015
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members overwhelmingly agreed that sleeping in a cooler bedroom with head elevation and circulating air makes breathing significantly easier,... Read more

Members overwhelmingly agreed that sleeping in a cooler bedroom with head elevation and circulating air makes breathing significantly easier, with many using fans year-round, keeping thermostats between 65-67 degrees, and preferring cold weather over hot, humid conditions that make the air feel thinner and harder to breathe. Several members shared practical strategies including using C-PAP machines with oxygen, propping up with multiple pillows to reduce mucus buildup, running humidifiers or air purifiers, applying DIY hairspray filters to trap dust, and some investing in adjustable beds for better elevation. A recurring theme was the frustration of feeling trapped indoors during hot summer months, the relief of cooler seasons, and the creative ways members balance personal comfort with partners who prefer warmth, like wearing sweaters indoors or sleeping under heavy blankets in chilled rooms.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes this helps me sleep better at night too. Keeping the air moving around seems to help alot with my head elevated and my throat don't get much mucus build up.

July 5, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have to sleep in a cool room it’s easier to breathe

December 10, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I agree, cool room and circulating air...I have an air purifier in my Bedroom, living room and an air scrubber system on my air conditioning.

July 5, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I breath better with my head elevated but i dont sleep better its super uncomfortable amd takes some time getting used to

August 14, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Wow I find this a new one on me as most people I know with COPD can not stand it to hot or to cold. I sleep with my head up almost in a sitting position, and In the Winter time I sleep with a heating Blanket on low as the temps get below 50 degrees Fahrenheit and no Hotter than 85 degrees. But we all have a different comfort zone. This year the cold has really effected me more so I think my zone is starting to get a little bit smaller. I hope this helps some of us out there to understand we are all different and we all find our zone to be closer to some more than others but we are all searching for the same thing, A way to feel better for as much as we can and hope and Pray to God that we are doing the right thing. Oh and by the way I Hope Everyone Had a Safe and Happy New Year . :)

January 2, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Barry, UK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Clyde, KS