Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Does having the air conditioning set to 70 actually help with breathing better? My partner has severs COPD and insists that the thermostat set at 70 helps her breathe better and I just think it is in her mind. Does the air being set so low actually help breathing?

June 7, 2021
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members rallied around the question of whether keeping the air conditioning at 70 degrees actually helps with COPD breathing, and the answer... Read more

Members rallied around the question of whether keeping the air conditioning at 70 degrees actually helps with COPD breathing, and the answer was a resounding yes. Several members shared that cooler air reduces humidity, which is a key trigger for breathing difficulties, and many keep their thermostats between 68 and 70 degrees, often adding fans for extra airflow. A recurring theme was that everyone is different, but cooler temperatures and moving air bring real, noticeable relief, with one member even noting their pulmonologist recommended keeping the home cool and using a fan.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

It helps me tremendously. I freeze my husband out. But now he just uses more blankets. I have my air on 68 with a fan blowing on me and no covers.

June 17, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Cool air helps me, especially at night. I need a cool room with some air movement to sleep well. If the room is warm I can''t sleep and do a lot more coughing. I do like to be warm in the body so I have lots of covers, but I need cool air for my face and breathing. My husband likes it warmer so we have thermostat battles. Last night I was restless and couldn't sleep so I got up and turned down the temp and it helped me sleep. During the day it is not as important but I really need it cool in the bedroom at night. We also have ceiling fans in the bedroom and that helps me.

June 9, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

well my friend i have that problem i cant be to hot temp is on around 70 and everyone else has on sweaters or they are saying i come back later lol anyway i have to have air at home and in my car

June 21, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I also have the fans blowing on me too, just something about the moving air. I live on my own, so don"t have anyone else to take into consideration. You take care Cher and I hope you have an easy breathing day...

June 18, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My Pulmonologist has said to keep my house cool, and use a fan if needed. I keep my set at 69* and use a fan. It really does help us breathe better.

June 11, 2021

Related Questions

View All