Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Frankton, IN

My wife has advanced COPD she needs help with most everything but I can't get her to go to the hospital or doctors. We have no insurance so I believe that is part of her reasoning. But I want to do anything I can to try and make her more comfortable. I'm at a loss

March 29
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you Joan. I have been try hopefully at some point I will get it done. She has been going for the last 2 or 3 months getting almost no sleep she naps for about an hour and a half at a time but now over the last week or so her body is making her sleep she is sleeping much more. But I can hardly get her to eat much of anything she says nothing sounds good or tastes good. Last night she ate 5 shrimp that's the most I've seen her eat in quite a while. She is loosing weight and doesn't need to. I appreciate all of you here. Thank you

March 31
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Like AI said there is those things you can do for her. You may want to get a in home air purification machine, a humidifier, and a dehumidifier for summer. Bu living on a farm with gravel roads are all working against her condition. Not to mention the dust from the hay.
You may want to see if she can get on medicare. Sooner or later she is going to need oxygen and medications. Those are expensive, not to mention the fee for seeing a specialist. It is worth applying.

March 30
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I am working on it. The part that is making it most difficult is my wife. I'll try not to confuse you I don't always explain things well. My wife gave up her license a few years ago and she has no form of identification and refuses to get any. She still goes by her second husband's last name and has nothing to show her name changes I've been told I need to get this information but not sure where to look. She is originally from Vermont and Lived in New Hampshire when she got married but married in New York so it is confusing.
She is 70 but doesn't have enough work credits for social security but I know she qualifies for SSI but I have to find this information plus it would be helpful if she would cooperate.
Thank you very much. Hugs, Joe

March 31
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hospitals are required to offer financial assistance if they receive federal funds. Call your hospital and get a financial assistance application. I qualifed for 100% help. Please try it, they need to get rid of the money allocated to them for financial aid. Good luck.

March 31
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Call and make sure to about insurance .....I never asked for any and have 2....everybody has some type..

March 30

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Southend-on-Sea, UK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Viwnna,Missouri