Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Doyline, LA

I need to know if anyone has had any problems flying? I have to Fly to a business meeting and back next month and was wondering. I know I will have issues changing planes at the airport in Houston but I think the airlines should have some type of way for me to get to my next flight. I am a little worried since I haven't traveled by air since my COPD started affecting my breathing so bad.

September 16, 2015
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have COPD and use an emergency enhaler only, no oxygen at this time. I do get anxious but relaxing controls it good. I flew to Belgium (8 1/2 hours) and I guess the cabin pressure was good because I never used inhaler, just relaxed and breathed deep a couple of times. I also did a 27 hour flight to Vietnam a couple of years ago without problems.

Lee

September 17, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Agree I have flown 10 hour flights every year no problem

September 29, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

That organization is not one that has listed a clinical trial on www.clinicaltrials.gov Generally that means that they are strictly for-profit. To date there is no scientific evidence that injecting stem cells makes any difference at all to people who have COPD. Things like improvement in PFT or spirometry results, 6 minute walk times, ABG results or patient's assessment of their abilities as measured by one of the standard tests have not been reported by anyone to date. I'm all for trying new things, but wouldn't try something that has no proven effect, especially if I were asked to pay for the privilege.

Just FYI, I know a number of people who have tried this treatment. None of them reported any lasting effect, though all of them were very enthusiastic about the treatment in the beginning. They all paid between $7,000 and $25,000 for their treatment and had nothing to show for their investment except a depleted checking account. Three of the six I know of died within two years of their treatment. I'm not saying the treatment is dangerous or had anything to do with their deaths; I'm simply saying that it didn't cure them or improve their situation at all.!

September 18, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I fly to Guangzhou China from the UK and have never had a problem always have my inhaler in my pocket,
just takes a little longer if have stairs

September 18, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Well ms. Mellegan. I'm Flying to San Francisco from Oregon in 2 weeks. First time flying with copd.
I'll let you know when I get back. I'm told if you tell airline you need assistance getting to different planing
area they will provide for you. I'm sure someone will see this that has flown and help you out. If I have
trouble walking far I will have my daughter with me to get a wheel chair for me.
Dave

September 17, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Brunswick, Canada

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Fayetteville, AR