Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Las Vegas, NV

If anyone in the group has used Mucinex to help get sputum up please let me know your results and if it really is effective .How much and how often do you take it ?
I had it in the hospital in the neb and it did help some. I keep getting pneumonia and the mucus staying in the bottom of my lungs may be the reason so I need help getting rid of it . I am open to all suggestions . Thanks to all and breathe easy .

December 28, 2015 (edited)
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared a wide range of experiences with Mucinex for managing mucus in COPD, with the overwhelming majority reporting that it helps... Read more

Members shared a wide range of experiences with Mucinex for managing mucus in COPD, with the overwhelming majority reporting that it helps loosen congestion and reduce pneumonia risk when taken consistently, typically 600mg or 1200mg twice daily with plenty of water. Several members offered additional strategies, including lung percussion techniques, the Acapella or Aerobika breathing devices, natural remedies like pineapple juice and lung tea, prophylactic antibiotics such as azithromycin to prevent exacerbations, and consulting pulmonologists about medications like Daliresp. A recurring theme was the importance of self-advocacy, combining multiple approaches tailored to individual needs, and staying proactive in managing mucus buildup to prevent serious infections.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

I use Mucinex 3 times a week..It does leave your mouth dry...Drink plenty of water. How many of you COPD people have trouble breathing after doing something as simple as tying your shoes or putting a blouse or shirt on? Next time be aware if you are holding your breath when doing these simple things....I have had to teach myself to breath steadily when doing these things....Also, if you are feeling panicky when short of breath, it helps to calmly purse lip breath and count your breathes until you feel calm...Then the next you feel panic, you will know how long it takes to feel calm....Remember, COPD is not so much taking in oxygen, as it is getting the carbon dioxide out of your lungs....this makes room for the oxygen....Always breath with your stomach, not your chest....You should see your stomach going in an out when purse lip breathing..

January 14, 2016 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

We use musinex in our home for all of our colds ,we have a 78 me 75 ,daughter 48 ,grandkids 17 & 21 , 23 ,& 14 ..we all seem to be able to use it & it helps all of us .... Not sure if anything is better ,but this is working for us ...It was recommended by my lung dr after a bout of pneumonia in me ... Hugs ...

January 9, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Barbara, there are a variety of tools to use in getting the mucous up, including Mucinex, which works to a point for most people. If you're really having a problem, I would suggest that you discuss several alternatives with your doctor. First there are a number of percussive devices that use percussion to help get the mucous up and out; one of them might work well for you.

If you are having frequent exacerbations (pneumonia counts!), talk with your doc about one or both of these treatments: daliresp, a pill that is designed to reduce the inflammation in the lungs, and thus reduce the mucous and resulting exacerbations; and/or prophylactic antibiotics, usually azithromycin, either once a day or three times a week. Both daliresp and the antibiotic treatment have been widely studied and proved to be effective for people with COPD who have frequent exacerbations. Their use is considered best practice for patients who have frequent exacerbations.

If your doc doesn't either bring these up or doesn't know about them, find a good pulmonologist who keeps current with his field.

December 29, 2015 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I take Mucinex in the am and pm. I think it helps!

January 8, 2016 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

When I was very ill and had massive congestion in my lungs, the doctor put me on 1200mg of Mucinex twice a day. If I start feeling I'm getting congested now, I take 400mg of Mucinex twice a day. It is very helpful in thinning the mucus and bringing it up. I find it very helpful.

May 3, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Scotland united Kingdom