Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
September 18
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I just recently started using it six months ago. YES, it has helped me considerably. I added it to my mucinex but dropped mucinex a month ago.My regimen is 600mg twice a day and I am also strongly partial to Mullein (I use both drops and tea forms). Of course this is what I do, not intended as medical advice for which you should consult your provider.

September 18
MyCOPDTeam

Has anyone used NAC (N-acetylcysteine) to help break up mucus/phlegm in the lungs with COPD?

Yes, NAC is a type of mucolytic — a medication that helps thin and loosen thick mucus, making it easier to cough up. It can be a stronger option than over-the-counter choices like Mucinex for people dealing with stubborn mucus Show Full Answer

Has anyone used NAC (N-acetylcysteine) to help break up mucus/phlegm in the lungs with COPD?

Yes, NAC is a type of mucolytic — a medication that helps thin and loosen thick mucus, making it easier to cough up. It can be a stronger option than over-the-counter choices like Mucinex for people dealing with stubborn mucus buildup. Some MyCOPDTeam members have found mucolytics helpful, especially during flare-ups related to mucus. That said, there are a few things worth knowing:

- NAC can sometimes irritate the airways
- In some cases, it may cause bronchospasm (a tightening of the airways), so it's important to monitor how your body responds
- It's not considered a routine treatment for everyone with COPD, so it's great that your doctor is tailoring it to your specific needs

Since your doctor has already recommended it, it's worth giving it a try while keeping them informed of how you feel. If you notice any increased tightness or breathing difficulty after using it, let your doctor know right away.

September 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I have no idea about anyone using NAC , but I've got all of my fingers crossed that it works for you . Hugs to you!

3 days ago

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Las Vegas, NV

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Manteca, CA