Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
MyCOPDTeam asked a question 💭
San Francisco, CA
January 14, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared extensive practical advice on what to bring to the ER, with the most consistent recommendations being a current medication list... Read more

Members shared extensive practical advice on what to bring to the ER, with the most consistent recommendations being a current medication list (kept in your wallet or phone), insurance cards, and basic identification, since many hospitals require these even when records are computerized. Several members emphasized the value of keeping a packed overnight bag ready at all times, containing personal items like pajamas, slippers, toiletries, phone and device chargers, a book or tablet for long waits, and a few days' worth of medications, as ER visits often result in multi-day admissions. A recurring theme was the importance of preparing loved ones with copies of medication lists, emergency contacts, and knowing where a ready-to-go bag is kept, since severe breathing distress often leaves no time to gather belongings, and having these essentials organized in advance reduces stress and ensures proper care when it matters most.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

I was in the hospital for 4 days in the 1st week of Dec. My oxygen level dropped so fast my husband had to call an ambulance. In my pocketbook I carry a small card case with my insurance cards & a list of my medications & the dosages. By the time I got to the ER I was pretty out of it so this made it much easier for my husband to give them the necessary info. The hospital supplied all my meds, my oxygen & my bi-pap. I keep a bag packed at the house with pj's, underwear, socks, comb, toothbrush & little extras I might need for an emergency. One thing I always try to bring is non-petroleum lip balm. Oxygen & the bi-pap dries my lips out really bad.

January 26, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Nothing but the clothes on your back, if you can grab your meds, if it's cold cover your mouth it's going to be a bumpy road should (if it's real bad) drive or have them emt's come get you. That's all I have to do, the first time there i had no time, couldn't walk breath or talk What finally worked was albuterol machine at home, i can't even remember how long it took. Happy Days Now, Hugs Bless you all

January 31, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

insurance cards, lists of meds; if you think you're going to be admitted, take your meds with you. List your symptoms, list what you've done (cough medicine, lots of water, chicken soup, gargling with salt water, any OTC meds you've taken, etc.). Make sure you tell them what you are diagnosed with: COPD, CHF, diabetes, RH, whatever.

January 14, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I always keep an updated list of prescription drug., surgeries, illnesses, over the counter products, like vitamins sinus products. Doctors name and phone number along with my next of kin, my address snd phone numbers, allergies and present health problems. In the trunk of my car I keep a overnite bag with all shaving gear, tooth brush and paste whatever sanitary items like underarm deodorants ect, extra extra underwear, hell you never know Right. The paramedics ,doctors nurses will be able to help us with this pertinent information and the rest will make us more confortable. I try and keep a two three day stay of clothing and under garments.
To much is a waste, not enough is worrisome and peace of mind is essential

March 17, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have my purse phone kindle list of my meds my medical alert necklace on at all times. I have two things in there that if I am not awake will save my life.

February 17, 2016

Related Questions

View All