I’m fairly new to all of this…
I have had a couple of episodes that were pretty rough. Tight chest, can’t get air, sweats, nauseous, dry heaves. The excessive heat and humidity triggered them. 🥵
I sat down with cool, wet towel at base of my neck, drank water, did deep breathing.
After about 10 minutes it began to gradually subside. Was scary but I managed it.
How do you know you should really go to the ER??
Breathe Easy and Hugs! 😃
Hi again, GK. Take a look on Google for a COPD Action Plan. There are a couple good ones to give you an idea of the steps you can take to counter a "Flare-up" ( temporary, but sudden changes in breathing functions) compared to an "Exacerbation" (lingering or extreme issues likely related to internal infections). Your Doc will help fill in the blanks and draft a plan for you based on the things you experience on the "not good" days.
Our home meds, fluid intake and breathing exercises help to a large extent keep things balanced.. Some docs will give prescriptions for stronger meds once you understand exactly how a Flare-up might progress to become a worse situation. Simple things like daily temperature, O2 readings, and regular schedule for your meds will be a good clue for when something is really off. When in doubt, never hesitate to go to an Urgent Care center or a Video visit with your Doc's office for a second opinion.
Had you not had the response you did to your self-treatment, that would have indicated a trip to the ER. You did a great job getting through this episode, but if you hadn't responded as quickly as you did, a trip to the ER should have been next. Good for you!
Spot on, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.
Forgot about the breeze from a fan.
Often ride with windows open in car to decrease the need for Oxygen use while traveling.
ps. Cough drops seem to help too.
When my coughing and breathing are out of control I call on my personal superman! I lean forward a bit in my chair and he gently pats my back with the goal for me to try and hold the rhythm with my breathing. It may take a few minutes to get it going, but eventually I’m breathing along with him patting my back. Having something to concentrate on can really help. I find that if I try to use my inhaler when I’m gasping and coughing it’s a waste of time, so this works for me. Music can help too if you don’t a personal superman! Wishing you well.