Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
June 18
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Therapy definitely helps but a lot of us have learned what is taking place during the rough times and realize we're not dying, just need to rest, slow down our breathing, do some pursed lip breathing, and take an anxiety pill that hopefully your Dr has prescribed. If he has not prescribed anything, you should talk to him about that and let him know there are a lot of people with COPD that rely on anxiety meds at times but do not take them on a regular schedule. Good luck.

June 22
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes! Do the pursed lip breathing. Sit still & try to calm down. I panic after walking & can't breathe.

June 19
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have anxiety and when struggling to breathe like that I have panic attacks which only makes it worse. Now I am two months in doing therapy for anxiety, stress, and panic attacks. It is definitely helping me so that might be something to consider

June 21
MyCOPDTeam

Absolutely, this is something many people with COPD experience. The feeling of not being able to get a deep breath can trigger real anxiety — and that anxiety can then make the breathlessness feel even worse. It's a tough cycle, but it's very common and very understandable.

One MyCOPDTeam member shared: "I do the Perez Show Full Answer

Absolutely, this is something many people with COPD experience. The feeling of not being able to get a deep breath can trigger real anxiety — and that anxiety can then make the breathlessness feel even worse. It's a tough cycle, but it's very common and very understandable.

One MyCOPDTeam member shared: "I do the Perez breathing when I get short of breath to help me not panic, and it helps."

The breathlessness causes the anxiety — it's not "all in your head." Anyone struggling to breathe would feel anxious! There are a few things that can help manage both the breathing and the anxiety that comes with it:

- Pursed lip breathing — breathe in through your nose for 2 seconds, then exhale slowly through pursed lips for 4–6 seconds
- Diaphragmatic (belly) breathing — focuses on using your diaphragm to breathe more efficiently
- Staying as calm as possible — easier said than done, but slowing your breathing helps break the anxiety cycle
- Rescue medications — if prescribed, use them during a flare-up

For mental health support specifically, it's really worth talking to your doctor. Some people are prescribed short-acting anti-anxiety medication to help during difficult episodes. Your doctor can guide what's right for you personally.

June 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I am on anxiety meds. Sometimes they don’t help. Once I start working myself up it’s difficult to get control. I become frightened. I just keep repeating BREATHE Slowly and soon I start to calm down.

June 23

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Doncaster, UK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Navarre, FL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Milford, NH