Aside from my husband,I have nobody that has taken the time to research and understand copd and what it's like as a sufferer.all of my family can only ever say oh you'll be right,or there can't be to much wrong with you,you look okay,I'm actually feeling extremely alone and scared,but they just don't or won't understand,I'm under so much stress over it,I try to not let it get to me,but they are my family,I just don't understand.my question is,how can you get people to understand? #alone
You will find, as I have, that some people just don't get it, and probably never will. We just need to stay strong and not let others remarks or attitudes affect us. Sometimes this can be difficult, I know. I have a handicap license plate on my car. and have taken some crap for parking in the handicap spots. i may not look disabled on the outside, but i certainly am on the inside. We don't have to explain our situation., but do what is best for us to stay healthy.
Actually, this Christmas season, it was very windy and i was still recovering from an episode of bronchitis. When I returned to my car, I sat for a few minutes to catch my breath. As I was pulling out, I had not realized that there was some man waiting for my parking spot. When I did see him, he called me an asshole. I drove to the other side of the parking lot and cried. I have quite a few similar stories, but that was then and this is now. We can do the best we can everyday, but that best will vary from day to day. And try not to let other people's opinions or actions set us back, Can be difficult,, I know. Stay close to those who "get it". .
I have had emphysema for 31. Like you my husband was about the only one who knew what was going on. It wasn't until my two children saw what happens when I suddenly am unable to breath and nothing worked except to call an ambulance. I don't mean to scare you if you haven't had a bad episode. The biggest problem with others is that they cannot see anything wrong with us so they cannot understand it, sometimes even if they read about it. Keep yourself as healthy as possible and stop worrying about what your family thinks. You don't need to show them how sick you are by worrying so much you end up in the hospital. The ones that count right now are you and your husband. Breath easy darling. Dianne xx
You are not alone! We are here for you and we know what you are going through cause we all have what you have. We will be your support, and team as much as we can. I think that is why the myCOPDteam was was created. Breathe well and know you are never alone.
@MariaLucia317I understand what you are saying,I get a lot of that not from my carers from my kids and adult Grand,I had my Grandaughter,who has come up this direction to ;ive with Daddy tell "to get over it" I had just moved into new unit,and me suffering Chronic Anxiety got very upset,and didn't realise what I was doibg or saying,had a little tantrum(attack)she had her 2 children with her.She then got nto her car and drove off,good way of getting out of helping me I expect,and proceeded to tell dady i told her she was like her mother..ex mother,and ex wife..seeing she has deserted the adult children and moved to America to be with one of herHusbands..So I definately ignore a lot of people these days.Their Christmas presents are still here..they havn't the courtesy to pick them up.No I didn;t see them at Christmas time,I had it with my daughter and the 3 grandchildren of hers.So try and ignore things like that it wears you down too much, and stress makes you feel worse hon xx take care and I understand....
It seems that you need to gain some close friends and make them the family that can understand what you are going through. Also keep close to your husband as he understands you and is seeing you with your problem. Prayer also helps you through your tough times.