Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Valparaiso, IN
April 12, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I am one of those 10 years after surgery, I can testify to the benefits. That said you have to do the tests and be declared a good candidate else you could subject yourself to a uncomfortable experience without any real benefit. I was judged to be a fair candidate not a good candidate and the final decision was left up to me. I took the chance as I could not take more than a few steps before I had to grab the oxygen. Now I am still oxygen free although I think not for much longer.

April 23, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I exercise everyday and do yoga but my fev1is 31 they said I am a great candidate for either lvrs or transplant . I use oxygen on strenuous tasks and at night .I guess I am wondering if I should wait

April 24, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

if you are a good candidate then you should give it serious consideration. BUT do you own investigation as the recovery can be quite long. I was six weeks in hospital split between ICU and High care. That was 10 years ago so I should imagine they have improved the procedures by quite a bit. The operation if successful will amaze you with the results, however it used to be a very high risk operation and you should arm yourself with the aftercare procedures and be prepared to obey in every way.

April 24, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I had Lvrs. Last year on my right lung took most
my lung away. But luckily the rest works a lot better breathing easier xx

May 12, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I had the upperlobe of the right lung removed almost a year ago . I'm 53 my fv1 was 19 . I've been on oxygen since 2006 . since the surgery I can breathe much better . I still need the oxygen at times but I feel alot better then I use to. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. I had it done at UWM in Madison .I live in Racine Wi.so froedert in Milwaukee would've been closer but after 2 years of jumping threw the hoops they wanted me to jump threw they denied me.

March 14, 2020

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Greenville, NC

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
madison.wi

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Aurora, CO