Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Clacton on sea essex United Kingdom
June 17, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

There is no stage 5; it's one through four or mild, moderate, severe or very severe. Stages have nothing to do with your O2 saturation levels.

June 17, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Is that your o2 level.

June 17, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I asked my doctor after the six months testing that I go through. He won't tell you unless you ask him. I am in stage five but am not on oxygen. I don't know why except I guess I don't complain much.

June 17, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you up until 4 months ago I was doing quite well but I went on a work outing to carting and the fumes where really bad I had a severe attack and have been really bad since I've had 3 lots off anti biotic and steroids I take 3 inhalers and am not good at all

June 17, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Talk with your doc. You can also use the Gold, COPD Foundation or ATS standards by Goodling them. Generally they use your FEV1 and the number of exacerbations you've had over the past year to determine a stage. Generally, an FEV1 of over 70 is mild, over 50 is moderate, over 30 is severe and under 30 is very severe, assuming that you have two or more exacerbations a year. If you don't, then your stage is a little more difficult to determine. Please remember that the staging rubrics are designed to give docs guidance as to treatment options and aren't designed for patient use at all. I know patients like to talk about them, but essentially for us they're useless and tend to put us in a box. The important thing with COPD is how you feel and what you're able to do on a regular daily basis. Don't let any stage or number define you.

June 17, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Banning, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Mills, WI