Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Placentia, CA

I gained 20n# with my inactivity. I was already overweight. I'm oonly 4 10 so any weight is a problem My dr. wants me to lose that weight and I am trying and will hopefully continue. I am doing good . Lost 6#s in the last few weeks. My dr. feels that is the magic number 20# and it will make a big difference. 5 years ago my dh and I walked 5 miles a day. 3 years ago I started using a rollator walker for arthritis. And 6 months ago I started riding my scooter because of my breathing. I use pool… read more

July 11, 2017
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Your weight gain is the result of more calories in than out, not because of Spiriva. The meds that are often blamed for weight gain are the inhaled corticosteroids and Spiriva doesn't contain one. Many people gain weight once diagnosed because they aren't told the importance of exercise. I would ask your doc for a referral to a physical therapist who should be able to work with you to design an exercise program that will help you lose weight, because for us, exercise is almost imperative for us to continue to lose weight and keep it off. You will probably want to find a gym or a program where you can use the machines that will help you, as well as continue to walk with your walker. I suspect that the weight loss will help many of your problems.

Fifteen years ago I decided to deal with my COPD by beginning a really aggressive diet and exercise program. Long story short, over 18 months I lost over 100 pounds and have kept it off. Made a huge difference in all areas of my life, including developing a daily exercise habit. This has allowed me to continue to consult in my professional field, travel by air at least twice a month, do a lot of advocacy work for COPD, play with my grandkids and enjoy my life. I was lucky that I didn't have any other conditions that made exercise difficult, but there are ways to get around that. Get moving!

July 12, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Wow! 100 pounds is fantastic plus keeping it off. I am once again putting on the weight and now trying to think of something to blame. It's just being home and 76 years slows me down. I am now going to get active again just walking is the best for fat dog and myself. Take care.

July 14, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Have I..don't know by how much as don't weigh myself,but hardly ANY of my clothes fit,gained arms,thighs,face,bust, belly and bum.Only place I haven't is my fingernails lol..got to laugh or I'll cry..so depressing as never carried weight, only in pregnancy!!Wouldn't mind but I don't eat a great deal,and thats the gods honest truth.

January 10, 2020
A MyCOPDTeam Member

very inspirational!

July 12, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My exercises in the pool. My DH blind and he follows me around when I use scooter

July 12, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Placentia, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lincoln, NE