"Advanced stage COPD" isn't a term that is generally used to describe COPD, so it's hard to tell what your doc or whoever used the phrase meant. COPD is usually described as mild, moderate, severe or very severe, and there are test results and other objective measures that are used to determine where the patient falls in the progression of the disease. I'm afraid you need to go back to whoever told you that and ask the questions you were afraid to ask. I don't know what that means either.
I would venture a guess that you were not seen by a pulmonologist, and because the person who used that phrase clearly doesn't know a lot about COPD, I would suggest that you find a good pulmonologist, have the standard tests for the disease done, get a concrete diagnosis and be prescribed appropriate medications. This is a situation where you need to take control of the situation and get yourself the best care you can.
when I asked my friendly chemist years ago what COPD meant, she said "it means your lungs are stuffed"
True.
Where you are in the progression of the disease really doesn't have anything to do with how well your lungs exchange O2 for CO2, so whether you use O2 and at what liter flow doesn't really have anything to do with the stage you're at. And Lisa, I agree with your doc: what stage you're at really doesn't matter; what matters is how you feel and what you can do.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member hi! I see Jean did as usual a great job in answering the questions, She is wonderful and very knowledgeable and really knows the facts! Even when you see the Doctor do not get too caught up in stage numbers, there is a lot to be learned on this site and many great people here!
I was diagnosed November 2015, my pulmonary doctor did not give me a stage, he told me he doesn't give stages, but he told me that I was a very sick woman,and that I was sicker then I thought I was, well I almost wanted to walk out, but I didn't. I feel fine most days, but was in ER last August, and had emergency surgery. I was in the hospital in December 2016, nothing serious just bronchitis, I have been feeling good, but now I know to go to my primary care doctor for a zpac and a round of Prednisone, when I feel like I'm getting sick, my point is, know your body and take care of yourself. God bless you.