Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Palm Bay, FL

Usually a day or two before a hurricane hit where I live my chest gets tight

September 7, 2017
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I agree that a change in barometric pressure can affect your lungs, as well as stress. I also find that just being in a hurry can cause shortness of breath.

September 8, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Barometric pressure changes often make breathing difficult. And the dew point makes a huge difference as well.

September 7, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

There are a lot of triggers for me to get the tightness. It can be allergies, the onset of an illness, the barometric pressur and probably other things but my chest gets tight, I have trouble breathing and can't cough anything out of my lungs. The doctor gives me an antibiotic and steroid and it works like a charm. I called it Reactive Airway Disease but my doctor calls it a spasm. Spring and fall allergies always bring it on. If I don't go to the doctor quick enough, anxiety sets in.

September 12, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The only thing I can think of that really affects my breathing across the board like that is a big change in barometric pressure. I've had this 'chest gremlin' for years, and I still can't remember to walk slowly...and pay for it every time with shortness of breath. Thank goodness Pursed Lip breathing helps.

September 9, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Stress does make it difficult to breathe but the pressure change does as well. I am more worried about my boyfriend. His breathing is worse than mine because of his size and his heart

September 8, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Brunswick, Canada

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Fayetteville, AR