Usually a day or two before a hurricane hit where I live my chest gets tight
I agree that a change in barometric pressure can affect your lungs, as well as stress. I also find that just being in a hurry can cause shortness of breath.
Barometric pressure changes often make breathing difficult. And the dew point makes a huge difference as well.
There are a lot of triggers for me to get the tightness. It can be allergies, the onset of an illness, the barometric pressur and probably other things but my chest gets tight, I have trouble breathing and can't cough anything out of my lungs. The doctor gives me an antibiotic and steroid and it works like a charm. I called it Reactive Airway Disease but my doctor calls it a spasm. Spring and fall allergies always bring it on. If I don't go to the doctor quick enough, anxiety sets in.
The only thing I can think of that really affects my breathing across the board like that is a big change in barometric pressure. I've had this 'chest gremlin' for years, and I still can't remember to walk slowly...and pay for it every time with shortness of breath. Thank goodness Pursed Lip breathing helps.
Stress does make it difficult to breathe but the pressure change does as well. I am more worried about my boyfriend. His breathing is worse than mine because of his size and his heart