is it safe with a person that has copd but not on oxygen and has trouble breathing to fly? i have lots of trouble just walking, let alone worried about flying and loosing oxygen
my has always been in the high 90's, my issue is I could in oxygen in just fine, but couldnt empty my lungs, completely before needing next breath, causing overinflated lungs which causes hard to breathe, your lungs can only hold so much, I had several tuborlets in my right lung growing, ranging from 7mm to 12 mm in size, left lung also had tuburlets in it a a mycobacterium abcess 1.1cm in size, they were all removed, but I still have to go infectous dease dr. but they thought this could have been canerour too but were not, so not all tumber/spots/ nodulles are,so try not to woryy until they say it is, and then with todays advanceds in meds, I know a lot of people that are survivers and have been for yrs
thank you
I have been on oxygen since February. It was for nighttime. Then a portable (POC) for the gym i go there everyday. Told my Doctor i would be flying to see my Grandchildren. He told me i needed the oxygen for flying. Before i got the POC i flew and my oxygen level dropped to 70. I was petrified think oh my God what if it keeps dropping. For the next 3 hours i sat there doing breathing exercises to bring it back up. It was exhausting. Now i have a POC turn it on when flying oxygen level is fin now. If i were you i would check with my Pulmonologist before flying. Good luck. Flying again next week.
yes if i feel smothered or my mouth or nose covered now i panic due to not being able to breathe. i am not sure i could handle flying and i am not on oxygen now, i just got out of the hospital and they put me on a nebulizer now, but i know i can't breathe just walking a little, so to be like in the mountains i probably would have real problems.
I've had COPD for a few years now, not on Oxygen yet but walking is a nightmare, I cant walk very far without stopping for breath. As far as flying is concerned I have flown many times both short and long haul since my COPD diagnosis and never once have I had any problems with breathing, the only problem I have with flying is on short haul flights that are always a bit cramped and I tend to suffer from a slight form of claustrophobia now.