Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Detroit, MI
June 16
 · 
Reactions
MyCOPDTeam

Oxygen therapy is typically considered when COPD causes blood oxygen levels to drop too low. A doctor will use tests like a pulse oximeter (a simple finger clip) or an arterial blood gas test to measure how much oxygen is in the blood — at rest, during activity, or while sleeping. The need for oxygen can vary from person to Show Full Answer

Oxygen therapy is typically considered when COPD causes blood oxygen levels to drop too low. A doctor will use tests like a pulse oximeter (a simple finger clip) or an arterial blood gas test to measure how much oxygen is in the blood — at rest, during activity, or while sleeping. The need for oxygen can vary from person to person. Some common situations where oxygen therapy may be prescribed include:

- During physical activity — when exertion causes oxygen levels to drop
- During sleep — when breathing naturally slows and oxygen dips
- All the time (24/7) — for those with severe or end-stage COPD who can't maintain safe oxygen levels on their own Since COPD is a progressive condition, oxygen needs can change over time. Regular check-ins with a doctor are important to monitor oxygen levels and adjust the prescription as needed.

Always speak with a healthcare provider to find out if oxygen therapy is right for your specific situation — they'll tailor the recommendation to your symptoms and lifestyle.

June 16
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You need to have a test done at the doctor's office. You may then be referred for a breathing functions test. Oxygen is a prescription-required substance, Depending on how your numbers are, your doctor may or may not prescribe supplemental oxygen for you

June 29
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I did that test about a month ago from another doctor and now I am getting ready to start taking trelegy 200 for me . No o2 yet thank God also am on muncenex and fluticasone propionate nasal spray and boy has it helped me @ almasummer and @ michaelzerjav . Good luck with your things. I do know when I have a hard time breathing I relax and do slow breathing sitting in a chair or lying down on the floor while listening to some soft music from my phone and it does work and there are some days I even fall asleep

June 16 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

That is a hard one to call. The doctor has a 6 minuet, 300 foot walk test they will have you do to see if your O2 percentage drops below 87%.

For me, it was about 4 years after being diagnosed that I realized I was having troubles walking from the car to the shopping carts at the grocery store. I brought it up at my next pulmonary appointment and he had me do the test I only walked up and down the hall way twice and he said that was enough. I was put on oxygen while walking or doing anything strenuous.
Hope that helps you or at least gives you a reason to make an appointment with your pulmonologist to discuss it.

June 16

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Mystic, CT

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Richland Hills, TX

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In