I am having so many days that I go 15-20 feet and am out of breathe. I used to be better and go farther and just up the O2 till caught up then turmit back down! Now I am screwed and need to know i is there something I can do or take to keep my O2 up or bring them back up quickly?
You say your O2 levels drop when you walk, so my suggestion would be to turn your O2 up before you start walking and use pursed lip breathing all the time you are walking. Keep track of your sats and if they drop below 88, turn your O2 up a notch again and keep on going. If you get to a point where your sats are still dropping and you MUST catch your breath, try slowing down and not stopping completely, but if you have to, stop and get your sats back where they should be.
You should talk with your doc about this. Most good pulmos will prescribe different flows for sitting, mild exercise and heavy exercise. The thing you have to understand is that if you are really short of breath and your sats are still good DON'T turn your O2 up, because it won't do you any good at all, and could be harmful. If you're being treated by your primary care doc, find a good pulmonologist.
Also talk with your doc about starting an exercise program. That will help you build your endurance so you won't run out of steam quite so quickly and it will make the lung function you have much more efficient.
My husband has severe COPD and he has the same problem. His oxygen level is perfectly fine without any supplemental oxygen sitting in a chair. But it drops very rapidly upon standing or walking and he cannot walk far even hooked up to supplemental oxygen. He recently went to a 16 week pulmonary rehab program. He found difficulties on the treadmill even on oxygen but did really well on the recumbent bike because not standing but sitting to exercise. His rehab has finished so we have purchased a recumbent bike for home exercise. Not sure if it will help but we think worth a shot.
you need to ask your nurse, my normal was 92 but dropped to mid-70s going upstairs now have a stair lift. my normal now is 91, went on it as it drops so quick and was taken too long to go back up , had to go on a course and had so0me test dooing different things . but i do try to do every thing slower now that helps me .
I am on 02 and sitting fine but when I walk my sats falls, if i dont have 02 with me I can only walk a few feet before I have to stop. I stand and wait then carry on. I went on that course so pleased I did ... brought a bike and walker use them when watching tv help me so much
Perhaps address this with your physician. Hopefully he/she can help. Sorry that's all the advice I have. Stay strong.