Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Branch, MN
August 3
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I use PLB mostly to help get my O2 numbers up when they fall below 88%. I can always get it back up in less than 3 minuets. [5 minuets and my DR wants me to go to ER] But I also use it when doing anything strenuous, like climbing stairs, or carrying heavy items.
I found that 'belly breathing' is the best exercise as for breathing exercises. It trains your body to breathe properly. Doing enough it become your automatic go to breathing without thinking. It is better than panic breathing and hyperventilating, you don't get enough oxygen or gas exchange when anxious.

That is what has been working best for me any how. I had to learn what to do to calm my anxiety attacks. And both PLB and belly breathing are taught as relaxation breathing.

August 4
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks for the input. I am on 02 24/7. Have found found on "Good Days" when I am just sitting watch TV and such, I don't need 02 all the time, and my 02 stays at about 91 - 93. It will occasionally drop to 88 - 89. I do Pursed Lip breathing and it generally comes back. Other days when "Active" I have to Pursed Lip breath frequently to breath "Comfortably '
Have a Great Day and be Safe.

August 3
A MyCOPDTeam Member

bauf1128
Hello, and how are you doing today? I’m having a lot of trouble breathing. I do a lot of the pursed breathing and I do it with and without my o2. If I walk all around the house doing chores and I don’t realize I’ve overdone it! I hurry and sit and do the breathing technique and my inhaler. I do walking around the house and when I stop or go too long is when I have an attack.
I hope this helped you! Have a Great Day!
Carleen

August 3
MyCOPDTeam

Is it better to do pursed lip breathing without supplemental oxygen?

Pursed lip breathing is actually beneficial whether you're on oxygen or not. The technique helps get more oxygen into your lungs and releases trapped air, easing breathlessness — and your supplemental oxygen can support that process, not hinder it. If Show Full Answer

Is it better to do pursed lip breathing without supplemental oxygen?

Pursed lip breathing is actually beneficial whether you're on oxygen or not. The technique helps get more oxygen into your lungs and releases trapped air, easing breathlessness — and your supplemental oxygen can support that process, not hinder it. If your oxygen levels drop during exercise or breathing techniques, it's generally a sign that you may need your oxygen. A MyCOPDTeam member shared that their respiratory therapist suggested exercising without oxygen, but they found it difficult as their O2 levels dropped — a valid concern worth raising with your doctor or respiratory therapist.

Here's a quick reminder on pursed lip breathing technique:

- Breathe in slowly through your nose for about 2 seconds
- Purse your lips as if blowing out a candle
- Exhale slowly for 4–6 seconds (twice as long as you inhale)
- Repeat a few times

Always check with your healthcare provider or respiratory therapist about whether to use oxygen during breathing exercises, as it really depends on your individual oxygen levels and needs.

August 3

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Brunswick, Canada