Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Grand Forks, BC

Am worried if i have to go for surgery as have not had any surgery since having the copd and being on oxygen. Am worried about how i will manage and how easy will it be to come off the breathing tube after as i hear that can be a concern. Am on oxygen 24/7 at 2L. Any one else had surgery while having "bad" lungs?

November 22, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Check with your pulmo, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist. Of all those people, the most important is the anesthesiologist, because that's the person who will be monitoring your breathing and O2 sats during surgery. You want one who knows what she's doing, who understands COPD and the breathing issues associated with it, and who is comfortable working with you. You can also talk about alternative types of anesthesia if you're really worried. You also want a surgeon who trusts the anesthesiologist to keep you out of trouble and who is comfortable know that you have COPD. You are probably in much better shape than many people prior to surgery, especially if you have been doing a formal exercise program.

November 23, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have COPD I had kidney cancer in 2004 they took my right kidney praise god I'm still alive. In recovery it took me a long time to wake up the nurse said she was getting a little worried bit I made it. I don't know if I could now it is so scary to think about it. I do believe the Dr will know if you're strong enough .Put it gods hands he will see you through it all. Happy breathing

November 30, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hope you are doing better. You are in my prayers. I am here if you need to talk.

November 28, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

KarenHead I would imagine everybody's circumstances are unique but my father had severe end stage COPD and was on 02 24/7 had bowel surgery and did remarkably well even with his doctor having strong reservations. Good luck!

November 23, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

U are in my prayers

November 23, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Harleysville, PA