Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Gastonia, NC

Probably a silly question, but I seem to be having a little trouble taking care of errands . I always get scared that I am going to get out of breath or get a tickle in my throat and go into a coughing fit before I can get out of a public place, I have tried to hide how bad I feel from my family but I am open to any suggestions that could help me get over this.

January 1, 2019
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Many community members related deeply to the fear of going out in public with COPD, sharing that coughing fits, shortness of breath, and... Read more

Many community members related deeply to the fear of going out in public with COPD, sharing that coughing fits, shortness of breath, and feeling embarrassed are very real barriers that sometimes keep them homebound. Several members offered practical tips including carrying cough drops, water, and a rescue inhaler, using electric or mini store carts, shopping early in the morning when stores are less crowded, and using a portable oxygen concentrator for added security. A recurring theme was the importance of not giving up on going out, leaning on faith, asking for help from family, and talking to a doctor about options like pulmonary rehab or medications to reduce inflammation and coughing.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

A little trick for the tickle in throat is have a hand full of grapes with you,just chew a couple will ease cough.

January 5, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

i do to and sometimes i am afraid of being home alone thinking i am going to die and my grandson will come in and find me, so i just give it to the Lord and move on

January 14, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Don't be afraid to go out. Just take your time as best you can so you want have SOB. I am on O2 24/7 and when I go to store if I feel like I am getting short on air even with my portable concentrator. I stop right there and just wait till my breathing gets better. And also pray to the Lord to help me through the day.

January 24, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

yup me too ShawnEstesSr I do the exact same thing!

January 9, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member........yes, I think about it all the time. Fortunately my husband has taken over the grocery shopping for me, however, my grocery store has those electric carts and I have used those if I have to go in myself.. I go early in the morning when there are less people there. I can no longer shop where there are no places to sit or no electric riding carts.
When we go to a restaurant, I always ask for a table that is close by.......I don't want to walk to the back of the restaurant. I avoid huge stores that require a lot of walking with no resting places.

I always have my rescue inhaler with me if needed, and I always carry a small bottle of water to help with coughing. If I am really coughing bad I stay home. I go out when I am in a better place with my copd.

I get really frustrated with doctors who have offices in huge buildings with bad parking and little to no seating in the building while walking to the office, or waiting on elevators, etc. Some of the more thoughtful medical office buildings offer valet parking and wheelchair rides to the offices.

I do have my mother's cane and walker and will use them if I need to. Sometimes just using the walker to carry my portable oxygen concentrator and purse helps.

In my purse I always carry water, rescue inhaler, kleenex, pads, and hand disinfectant.

Your family needs to know exactly how hard it is for you to do the things you used to do with ease. They need to understand and help you. Everything is easier if you have someone to help you.

January 1, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Burton on Trent. Staffordshire

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Mills, WI

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Brampton, ON