Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Brampton, ON

My first time asking a question . Every time I go grocery shopping buy the time I'm finished I'm exhausted. Can't breath can hardly walk. I am on my own so I have no help. Anyone got any suggestions

April 1, 2017
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Use the electric chair plus cart thing a lot of stores have now. It can make a big difference. And take it SLOW.

April 21, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I use the electric carts at the grocery stores and places like Sams Club. I also have a collapsible plastic container with a telescoping handle and wheels - I can get groceries in the house fairly easily using this little cart. I am an artist and got it from an art supply website. I got it specifically for transporting paintings to shows and art fairs but most of my paintings are too large for it. Now that I have Stage 4 COPD, it represents my independence foe me.

April 17, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Happy Easter/Resurrection Day!! I went to our big box store yesterday and thought about you. I rode the cart instead of walking and later appreciated it. Have you been successful?

April 16, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

If you need to shop, hopefully these ideas will make your life a little easier and put a little fun in your day.

Costco has many pre-prepared/ready to heat and eat foods in bulk packaging. They can be microwaved so you eat well and use minimum energy preparing your meals. BTW, you can get a free snack/lunch if you try their food samples. LOL

Also, Costco offers a "Personal shopper" service. Just ask at the door and they will have someone push and fill your shopping cart as you scooter around the store. And, they do carry out service and put your stuff in the car for you. The helpers are friendly and very kind. This makes for a pleasant visit when you are alone or without many visitors.

When you bag and load your groceries, be sure to bag the cold stuff and place where you can easily unload it. This way you won't have any food spoil if you can only get a few things into the house and put away. All the other stuff can be unloaded as needed when you're rested or have help.

Hope this info helps you as much as it's helped me. Breathe easy, smile and enjoy your days!

April 7, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The delivery service is one way to go. Another is to talk with your doc about what you can do to help yourself get stronger. Talk about Pulmonary Rehab or beginning an exercise program to help you get stronger and improve your breathing. You can choose to let life come to you or you can go after it. My choice is to pursue it by getting as strong as possible and doing as much as I can all the time.

April 1, 2017

Related Questions

View All
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In