Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Is this something he just needs to live with? he is on oxygen as well at nite and sometimes during the day. what can I do to make life worth living for him. I have to work but feel he needs me there. can anyone help give me answers on how COPD effects people. thank you!

January 7, 2019
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

COPD is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life. That said, it's pretty clear that both you and he have a lot to learn about COPD and how to manage and control it. Both are possible and not even that hard. Meds only treat symptoms, and it is a progressive disease, but the lungs, even when compromised, are really remarkably resilient. Go to www.copdfoundation.org. You'll find a tremendous amount of information there about COPD and a lot of support on 350 Social.

One of the hardest things for people with COPD to understand is that meds treat symptoms and do make you feel better, but they do nothing to actually make you better. The things that will make your husband better are things that only he can do: daily exercise of at least 30 minutes; get as close to a normal weight as possible, eat healthy, don't smoke. These are all hard things, but they are the things that will help him get stronger, have more endurance and help him feel better.

Pulmonary rehab is one place to start. He'll learn how to exercise and push himself. When he's done, he should join a gym and exercise with the rest of us. Having a good pulmonologist who is current on research and treatment of COPD is another. Beginning to learn about COPD can give him new ideas and goals. He'll learn enough to know that he's the one who has to take control of his situation. You can support him, but you can't do anything for him; he's got to do it himself.

I've had COPD since 1985. I worked until my planned retirement in 2010. I have about a third the lung function of someone my age and sex, and I still work part time for a national accrediting company and travel by air all over the US and Canada. I'm a COPD advocate and attend many conferences and workshops. I have kids, grandkids and am a new great-grandma. Exercise is the key to my continuing to keep a difficult schedule.

January 7, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

sorry i can only post short messages....the more he can do for himself the better and as much as you love him dont do everything for him encourage him to be as active as poss,the worse thing he can do is sit around. .good luck..x

January 7, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@DeniseCongerWh .. there is no rights or wrongs with this disease..your husband will need to figure out whats normal for him,even ppl who can barely move without being sob need exercise so id start there with the rehab.

January 7, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have done allot of counseling and support groups for caregivers. You need lots of breaks and working is a good one....especially if you are surrounded by others. My husband is age 80, and he still works 3 days a wk. He calls this his mental health break from my situation. You have to take care of yourself first do you are able to take care of your spouse. I also fear being left alone, so I can relate to both sides.

January 7, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

thank you for your reply. he has had COPD for 4 years and has been on everything. I feel like there is nothing more I can do for him. His COPD has gotten worse so I will check into Pulmonary Rehab and see if that is available. thank you again. Prayers to all of you dealing with this awful disease.

January 7, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Birmingham, UK